From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:28:30 -0700
Hi Jim,

I have a ft51RH here.  If you reset the unit to the factory settings,
it comes up without the auto repeater offset turned on.  You have to go
into the menus to change this.  Fortunately, I haven't had to do this
for quite a log time now, but unfortunately, I can't remember how to do
it without looking it up.  Personally, I find it a difficult radio to
use as there are so many bells and whistles that it's much to easy to
turn on some function that you don't want and thus making the radio
difficult to operate.  Also, as I mentioned, if you do a reset, you
need to set the repeater offset again.

A blind person can do this, but it really is a pain and you can really
benefit from sighted assistance in setting up the radio if you do have
that assistance.

I do have the computer software around here which you can use to set
the options in the radio and I've found it to be pretty accessible,
with window eyes anyway.  But, that doesn't help you much if you're out
somewhere and accidently get the radio into some strange mode you don't
want.

It has all kinds of pager and telephone related functions which when
enabled make it difficult to use as a standard transceiver.

All this is why I'm seriously thinking of getting the Kenwood THF6a as
it seems to be much more user friendly, at least from the reports I've
heard.

If you don't have a sighted friend to help you get the thing up and
running, and if no one else on list can help you out, I'll dig it out
and try to refresh my memory on setting up the radio.

Don W6SMB