CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free Children List <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Patricia Lee Keough and Thomas Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:28:03 EDT

First off, I want to thank Peggy Smith for posting that information about the
National School Lunch Program. Although my daughter is still in pre-school
half-day, I found her advice very informative and wise. I'm saving it for the
day I face the same problem. I live in New Jersey and am sending my child to
a very well-regarded preschool, but they don't have a clue about celiac
disease. So I fear the day I send her to public school and have to face the
lunch problem.

The  issue I am now facing, however, is Halloween. Parents were sent home
notes suggesting that they be very careful about what candy to bring in to
school, cautioning them about peanut allergies. Of course, my reaction was
"well, what can Alex eat at Halloween?" And what should I advise her teachers
about the candy other parents bring in. Does anyone have a list of common
candies that are safe? If I dont' give them a simple to follow list of what
she can eat, I'm sure they will either err on the side of caution and not
allow her to eat anything -- or allow her to eat everything. After all,
chocolate isn't wheat!

Any thoughts would  be appreciated.

Lee Johnson, mom to Alexandra.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *