CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free Children List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:00:27 EDT
7bit
From:
Peggy Smith <[log in to unmask]>

GF SCHOOL LUNCHES ARE NOT ONLY POSSIBLE THEY ARE HAPPENING!
My son is now in the 5th grade and has been eating in the school cafeteria
everyday since he began 2nd grade.  In that time he has had one known
incident - the first day of school lunches he received Gluten tater-tots on
his plate.  He knew that these were not GF and did not eat them.  So no
accidental ingestion.  He has had an upperscope since then (for another
reason) and while being scoped anyway had a follow-up biopsy to check
adherance to the GF diet.  This biopsy proved his strict adherence - and
verified to his doctor, myself and the cafeteria staff that his adherence to
the diet is correct.  He is very sensitive to accidental ingestion - which
has happened occasionally since his diagnosis at 20 months old.
This year another student - diagnosed last spring - is also eating GF
lunches.
The process to get this lunches did take some of my time.  I will outline the
steps in a second email.
Hope this helps!
Peggy Smith