Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Patrick Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 08:56:17 -0600
Hi Fred,

I am a TS850 user.  I have had the transceiver for fiive years or so and I
really like it.  I, like you, am totally blind and I think that the radio
is pretty blind friendly.  The VS2 chip helps, but doesn't give you much
more than frequency.  You can 'direct enter' frequencies with the pad on
the front of the radio, but it sure is nice to know where you are when you
tune.  The 'mode' buttons give Morse code letter indications of their
functions; C for C W, L S B for lower Sideband, etc.  Until you get
familiar with the front panel, those cues are helpful.  There is a way to
initiate more cues; I think it is power on with the voice button depressed,
but I don't remember for sure.  In that mode, damned near every button on
the radio makes some noise!!  I think after a while it got to be more than
was necessary!!  My transceiver has the internal antenna tuner; nice
feature.  Won't tune everything, but helps get the antenna match close.

The transceiver is good; receiver is fine, and transmitted audio is great.
I use a Heil mike.  The radio has been reliable as well.  I bought a TS2000
at the Dayton hamvention last spring and it is connected right alongside of
the '850'.  The older model is, frankly, easier to use, but the '2000'
offers many more reatures.

If you have an opportunity to pick up a nice 850 at a good price, you'd be
well served.

Good luck.