From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:12:55 -0500

Burts Bees does not use any wheat germ oil or any other wheat-based
ingredients. The tocopherol (vitamin E) used in their skin care products
and lip care is strictly soy-based.

My original post about burts bees containing wheat germ oil was wrong. I
was given incorrect information over the phone by an office in Canada. This
office is not the head office of burts bees. It is merely a Canadian
distributor for Burts products. The products are not made in Canada. They
are all made in the US.

The www.burtsbees.com website does say that tocopherol can be made from
wheat germ, but it only says that it can be, not that it actually does.
(This info should be clarified so as to avoid future misunderstandings)

The tocopherol used by burts bees is derived from soybeans. Soy is a common
allergen, one that I am particularly sensitive to. (Perhaps this
information should be declared on the product labels, especially on those
that are meant to be applied near the mouth)

Perhaps even a gluten-free declaration should be added to the label. That
would really help us and would increase sales for the company.

I spoke on the phone with Chuck Friedman of burts bees this morning and
fully trust his answers about the tocopherol. In addition to wheat germ oil
being very expensive, it is of a darker color than soybean oil and would
not be suitable for their skin care line.
I am attaching the email response from Chuck:

Burt's Bees has been sensitive to the special personal care needs of the
Celiacs community for several years. To that end, we have provided two
lists to interested Celiacs. One list details Burt's Bees products that are
appropriate for Celiacs while the other details those that are
inappropriate.
    To date, Burt's Bees has not received a report of a Celiac's type
reaction from those consumers who have been guided by our lists.
    We regret any confusion that our ingredient glossary may have created
by listing Wheat Germ Oil as a source of Vitamin E (Tocopherol & Tocopheryl
Acetate). The source of our Vitamin E is Soy beans.