From:
Iris Irwin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Iris Irwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:53:23 -0400

Hi,  On July 1st, Mireille Cote posted a message called GF Restaurant:  Heaven is on Long Island.  It sounded too good to be true and I imagined it must be way out at the tip of Long Island almost 100 miles from my home in Nassau County (the county closest to NYC). To my amazement, it was located two towns away from me (about 5-8 miles).  (At this point, I must add that I was on vacation in July and did not get this message until I got back.)  My husband and I tried it out soon after I got the message, and it was an unmitigated joy.  Joann, the owner, is a celiac (down to 70 pounds at one point).  I'll jump to the great part.  They make gluten-free meals,and Joann makes gluten-free bread, rolls, bagels, and other tasty treats.  These are for sale
and after a great meal (described below) I departed with a bag of bread and bagels, and a little crumb cake that Joann added on.  What a treat!

My meal consisted of baked clams, topped with BREAD CRUMBS, then veal piccata with gluten-free linguini and some of Joann's bread to mop the sauce, both of the baked clams and the veal dish.  A delicious salad came between the appetizer and the main dish.  I don't have a sweet tooth (lucky me) but I savored this wonderful meal.  My husband, who can and does eat anything had a regular gluten-packed meal, and said his was great too.  The address is below
and you can't miss it as it has a banner out front stating that it serves
gluten and wheat free food in addition to regular food.

CAFE BALDO
2849 JERUSALEM AVENUE
WANTAGH, NEW YORK
(516) 785-4780