From:
Linda Sowry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:21:59 EST

Hello to all,
    I posted about a spice cake recipe I use for birthday cakes, and many of
you wanted to know which one it was.  It is from Better Homes and Gardens
10th edition.  I just substitute Bette Hagman's regular flour mixture (rice
flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour) for the all purpose flour and add a
heaping teaspoon of Xanthan Gum.  I started reading the wrong recipe and put
brown sugar instead of regular sugar and it was great too, so either sugar.
I'm eating a piece as I type this (leftover from our birthday cake for Jesus)
and it's so good!
    The Spice Cake is:

     2  cups Gluten-Free Flour (I'm sure any of the different mixtures would
be fine)
1 1/2 cups sugar
     1 teaspoon baking powder
     1 teaspoon baking soda
     1 teaspoon xanthan gum
     1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
     1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
  1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
  1/4 cup shortening
  1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    3 eggs

Oven at 350 degrees.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda,
xanthan gum, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.  Add buttermilk,
margarine, shortening, and vanilla.  Beat on low speed till combined then 2
minutes on high speed.  Add eggs and beat 2 minutes more.
Pour into a greased 13x9 baking pan.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a
toothpick comes out clean from the center.  Cool on a wire rack.  You can ice
it with Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting or just serve with Cool Whip or
something similar or just eat it plain.  It's also great made into cupcakes
and then freeze the extras to pull out for lunches! (Thanks to Opie431 for
that tip!)

Hope this helps!  I try to use as many "normal" ingredients as possible, so I
do use this cookbook the most of all my cookbooks, even my gluten free ones -
when I do  actually cook or bake...

Have a Merry Christmas!
Linda   :o)
Pensacola, Florida