From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:02:42 -0500

Just discovered that Burts Bees lip balms and lip colors contain wheat germ
oil, in the form of tocopherol or vitamin E.

I phoned the Canadian number and the rep confirmed that they use only
natural vitamin E, derived from wheat germ and soybean.

The following definition was taken from their website (the ingredients
glossary) at www.burtsbees.com

TOCOPHEROL (D-Alpha) - Vitamin E. Found in vegetable oils, especially
Soybean and Wheat Germ. A natural anti-oxidant, guarding against rancidity
in oils. Valued for its soothing, regenerating properties. D-Alpha
Tocopherol is natural Vitamin E. DL-Alpha Tocopherol is synthetic.

TOCOPHERYL ACETATE - The ester of Tocopherol and Acetic Acid, a man-made
form of Vitamin E that helps protect the skin (a stabilized version of
Tocopherol).

Silly me - I thought tocopherol was always synthetic. Seems that Burts uses
the real thing !!!  I recently posted a question to the list about corn
syrup. Maybe it's not corn I'm having the problem with - maybe it's the lip
balm I've been smearing all over my lips and cracked fingertips......

Janice.