From:
Juliann Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:26:47 EDT

Hi everyone,
I put off summarizing what I learned about all of this until I got some test
results back.  First I'd like to thank all of you that emailed me with such
excellent information.
Many said to run, don't walk to a dietition/nutritionist.  Websites such as
mendosa.com, www.endocrineweb.com/diabetes/diagnosis.html were recommended.
Also, seeing a pediatric endocrinlogist was suggested.  Monitoring blood
sugar levels was urged.  Several books were recommended such as The
Schwarzbein Principle and Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.  Lifestyle
counseling was also recommended.
This all started for us when I took my daughter to a whole health/alternative
medicine doctor.  He had extensive blood work done and her levels came back
borderline diabetic.  He immediately recommended a type II diabetic diet,
plus many other recommendations for better eating, ie.  no hydrogenated oils,
no fried foods, low carbs, etc.  He put her on many supplements.  The
diabetes issue was just one of several things that were found.  But he feels
that everything can be turned around.
I didn't feel comfortable leaving it at that.  If she indeed had diabetes,
then I needed to know and have it diagnosed by a medical doctor.  So, I
called Duke's Pediatric Endocr. Dept.  I faxed them the test results that we
had. I spoke with the doctor's nurse and she said to start monitoring her
urine and blood sugar.  They saw us 2 days later.  They repeated the blood
work and we spoke with the doctor.  Apparently Duke is doing a study on
celiac and diabetes.  So they seemed very interested in us.  Just yesterday I
faxed them our 14 day record of blood sugar levels.  Everything looked good.
The blood work came back within normal limits.  But they still can't give a
yes or no to the diagnosis.  They want us to continue blood and urine testing
once a day for a month.
We are still seeing the whole health doctor and he is doing his thing.
The best part about all of this is that my daughter is eating 200% healthier
than she ever has in her life.  She is a Starch Queen.  Now she is eating a
well balanced diet.  It's amazing.  I think that if we didn't go to the whole
health doctor and he didn't emphasize to her how serious this was then we
would have continued on a road to disaster until it was too late.
My whole family is eating healthier now.  I am making my other 3 children eat
more fruits and vegetables.  We have cut out dessert during the week.  I
don't offer fruit juice anymore-milk or water are their options.  Junk food
is limited.  My kids aren't overweight and they are very active.  They watch
very little TV and don't have game boys, nintendo and get very little
computer time.  So that wasn't the problem.  It's so easy to give in to junk
food and cereal and to say yes to the starches all day.
Again, thank you to the many of you for writing and sharing your stories and
experiences and knowledge.  It helped me through a very scary time.  It was
overwhelming, but you were right- it got easier.
Have a great day!
Juli of NC