From:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:13:47 -0500

BUFFALO GROVE HAS 1 OF ONLY 3 ALL GLUTEN-FREE STORES IN ALL OF THE US AND
CANADA (the Gluten Free Market 847-419-9610 174 McHenry Rd)
SUNSET FOODS IN NORTHBROOK ALSO HAS A HUGE SELECTION OF FOOD-I SHOP MOSTLY
THERE (847-272-7700 on Church St. in downtown Northbrook)
OUTBACK STEAK HOUSE AND PF CHANGS BOTH ARE CHAIN REST IN THIS AREA W/ GF
MENUS. ANY OF THE LETTUCE ENTERTAINMENT REST. IN THE AREA CAN ACCOMODATE
YOU VERY NICELEY ALSO. I EAT OUT ALOT AND ALWAYS ASK TO SPEAK TO A CHEF AND
99% OF THE TIME HAVE GREAT MEALS

Morton's Steakhouse is on Meacham Rd just N of Golf Road and Woodfield Mall.
Stir Crazy is at the mall. Maggiano's has great potato and chicken veggie
they are willing to do GF. Big Bowl is also in the outdoor Mall 1 street
east of Woodfield on the Sears side.
There is also Prime Steakhouse? on Meacham Rd just S of Golf. I always call
ahead and ask if they would be willing to accommodate, at least then neither
of us will be surprised

There is a store in Buffalo Grove (just north of Hoffman Estates and
Elk Grove) that dedicate themselves to selling nothing but GF
products. The store is called THE GLUTEN-FREE MARKET, INC. and their
website is www.glutenfreemarket.com. They have a broad array of
products (some 400 through the store) that can be bought. Their
telephone number is (847) 419-9610

Boston Market has several gluten-free items (but not the cornbread - It
has wheat - so bring rice crackers or rice bread along) - plain
rotisserie chicken, plain turkey breast, garlic string beans, new
potatoes (the red potatoes), corn, steamed veggies are GF.

Health food stores are everywhere. There is a gluten-free market in
Downer's Grove. You can buy some Thai Kitchen noodles and add boiling
water. If you have a microwave, Amy's (frozen, at health food stores)
has an Asian Noodles lunch and a couple of other Asian frozen meals that
can go in the microwave. If it is gluten-free, read the description on
the back, and it will say it is gluten-free.

Pamela's cookies transport well, and so do Mi-Del gluten-free arrowroot
cookie and chocolate chip cookies. Just make sure the bag says gluten-free.

Making some phone calls before you travel will save grief. Just go to
www.switchboard.com and key in the name of the place and the city.
Then call them. You might call Red Lobster and ask if they can make
plain broiled fish, without their seasoning, and have it with plain
salad (unless they have olive oil and bring you lemon wedges to squeeze
on) and a baked potato. Done that.

Any restaurant that will make you plain broiled chicken or plain broiled
fish or (if you eat red meat) a plain broiled burger, etc. will help.
Steamed white rice, plain boiled rice with no seasoning, plain baked
potatoes or with real butter make things simple.

If you think plain food (not grilled - no telling what was on the
grill), you'll have success. I even go to a little Mexican place here
(not a chain) where they use real wood to wood-grill the poultry and
meat, and they have several things I can buy.

I think this will help us both. Enjoy your trip.

Boston Market (Boston Chicken) has a number of gluten-free items (but
the cornbread has wheat). Plain rotisserie chicken, plain turkey breast
- no gravy, cooked corn, steamed veggies, garlic string beans (not the
casserole with the onion rings), and new potatoes.

You might want to bring along some sesame-rice crackers when you travel.
I always carry a few packages. Sometimes I toast a lot of GF bread and
bring the toasted slices in zip-lock bags, too, then buy some applies to
keep in my room.
You can bring some Thai Kitchen rice noodles to make, too.
Renting a room with kitchenette or microwave is nice.

There are many health food stores, but you'd have to check who has Amy's
lentil soup, puffed rice, rice crackers, etc. You can pick up rice milk
at many supermarkets, or soymilk. I eat puffed rice with rice milk and
put grapes on it, for breakfast. You'd still need the use of a
mini-refrigerator, stove or microwave to bring things along and store
them (or buy and store them).

Restaurant suggestion - Any place that can serve you a plain salad, no
croutons, and has olive oil and wedges of lemon, and that will broil
some plain meat or poultry or fish for you, and has baked potatoes,
might be helpful. Supposedly many Thai restaurants are OK, but you might
want to check for cross-contamination - the woks, what they clean the
woks with (the brush), and if the noodles are really just rice.

I order main-course salad and tell them to leave off the noodles and
croutons, use fresh roast turkey breast instead of marinated chicken,
and I order a side of onion and a side of avocado to dump on it.

Cyrano's on Wells (French bistro) is GREAT, PF Chang's (Chinese/Japanese) on State has some great dishes and Salpicon (Mexican) is the best! They are very sensitive to Celiac. All are reasonably priced and have great food. Feel free to contact me for more suggestions if you would like to tell me your preferences of food type.

Good luck and enjoy our fair city!