Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:40:29 -0600

Dear Listmates -
Wow!  I got a lot of responses on this!

Many listmates said that all red wines and white wines are GF.
Two said that French wines are GF - both red and white.

Several said that "fortified" wines (one said more alcohol is added) may
not be GF and to avoid the fortified wines, but I haven't seen these in
stores here.

One had checked with Ernest & Julio Gallo and with Corbet Canyon, and
their wines are GF.
<[log in to unmask]>  was the email link given for Gallo.

One said the CSA food catalog says to avoid wine, but that he has no
problem, and maybe it is the sulfites in the wine that cause some people
problems.  He drinks lighter wines like Berringers.

Several drink lighter wines and have no problem with these.   One
recommended merlots and sauvignons for wines.

One listmate said all California reds are safe.

Of course, one said to avoid barley wines, wines with malt liquor or
other additives.  So read labels if you aren't certain there is nothing
but wine in the bottle.

One listmate found this on the Delphi forums:

"Ok, here is as much of the scoop as I have been able to get so far on the possibility of there being gluten in wine -
Wine:
I talked to my boyfriend's dad who lives in Angers, in the Loire valley. France is divided into regions, and the regions are divided into departments. We had been discussing wines of the Loire region in another thread. Angers is in the department of Maine et Loire and Arnaud's dad only could answer for that department. He said that there is NO winery in that that department that uses wheat in ANY way in the wine making process.
(For anyone who is interested, French wine usually has the postal code of the place it was bottled. The department of Maine et Loire has 5 digit postal codes that start with 49***.)

Then I contacted the celiac association of France (AFDIAG). The woman I spoke to there said that there no French wines that are considered to have any amount of gluten in them. All French wines are ok for people with celiac disease to consume (in moderation, of course). :) "

Hope this helps!
Vicki