From:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:24:58 -0500

vanilla ice cream with hot fudge is gf. It's close to FAO Schwartz. We
also ate at Mortons Steakhouse. Explain what you need, and they're very
helpful. We also did Hard Rock Cafe. She had a plain chicken breast and
baked potato, which she wasn't real excited about, but there's so much to
see there she didn't really mind. I found Chicago to be one of the
friendliest gf places to visit. I posted stuff on the archives in case I've
forgotten anything, plus the pizza place is spelled correctly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

You can also look in old Sully's Living Without Magazines. They may have
some info on their website www.livingwithout.com or your library may have
old copies of the magazine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Try Shaw Crab House for fish and seafood. They are very helpful if you
explain your dietary concerns. Not cheap, but very good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, there are many fine steak houses, Ruth Chris, George + Georgetti,
Smith & Wollenshky...not cheap, but they can easily handle a GF meal. Again,
talk to your waiter. Oh, Vinci Restaurant has a GF menu, 1732 N Halsted St., (312) 266-1199. Call
ahead and explain. Very excellent Italian food.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just heard about a new company called enjoy life foods. They are based out
of Chicago and expect to be ready on November 1. Go to enjoylifefoods.com
and send the guy an e-mail maybe he can have some stuff ready for you. {I emailed this company and they were just getting their business started so they couldn’t help me.}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I own The Gluten-Free Market, a retail store in a suburb of Chicago.
We specialize in ONLY gluten-free products. Our store has over 400
products (including frozen) for purchasing. We can deliver/ship to the
hotel. Please feel free to visit our website,
www.glutenfreemarket.com, where you may order product and have it
shipped to the hotel (practically overnight). I hope this helps. {I wish I could have taken advantage of their offer but just not the right timing for me this time.}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am headed to Chicago next week. These are the responses to my posting
about a week ago asking for the same info except specifically asking for the
Hoffman Estates and Elk Grove areas.

These stores have a great selection of GF foods:

Gluten Free Market, 174 McHenry Road, Buffalo Grove, IL (847-419-9610)
Trader Joe's in Arlington Heights, IL
Whole Foods in Palatine, IL

GF friendly restaurants:
Noodles & Co., various locations
The Big Bowl, Lincolnshire, IL
The Wellington, Arlington Heights, IL
Outback Steakhouse, Buffalo Grove (?), IL

Stir Crazy is in Schaumburg, in the Woodfield Mall. They have always gone
out of their way to accommodate my daughter's diet. We do not use any of the
sauces, but you could always bring in your own LaChoy if you wanted.