Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:26:55 -0500

Dear Listmates,
My original post asked if anyone had any experience with either of these NY
restaurants.  In summary, I received six responses.  Several had eaten at
the deli with no problems.  We eventually did to to the Carnegie Deli (7th
Ave/W. 55th St)  with our group.  I did phone ahead and speak with a
manager who was able to read me the ingredients on the corned beef
package.  Everything sounded ok.  I also found out that they serve Shofar
kosher hot dogs (foot long) and I checked them out on the web.  Their
response is listed below too.  Overall, we had  great meal.  The portions
are huge, so I ordered a corned beef sandwich, bread on the side, and that
is how it went.  The corned beef was delicious!  My daughter and I shared
the meat and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  The coleslaw was wonderful too
although she is not a coleslaw fan.  The pickles were great too.  Be
prepared for killer deserts that we just stayed clear of...The various
Anne (MA)

That's what I do.....just order w/o bread...be prepared for HUGE portions!
btw
their coleslaw is good

Hard Rock doesn't have good food....it's a touristy place...food has been
trashed
by critics
-----
I went to Carnegie and had their corn beef and pickles with no ill
reaction.  I took my GF bun and it was yummy.
 -------
All our research went out the window and we wound up at a
corner deli that was not crowded.  Most of the meat turned-out to be just
fine and since in deli's everything is made to order we had no problem
getting meat and cheese and keeping it GF.
-----
That's exactly what I did at the Carnegie Deli in NY.  I had the corned
beef.  Quite honestly, I forgot to ask if it was GF but I did not have any
reaction and it was delicious.
---
Most New Yorkers would not admit they ever went to the Hard Rock Cafe, as
it is for tourists or people with young teens who are impressed by the
colleciton of rock memorabilia. The food is not to be trusted.  I got very
sick there after eating a burger without the bun.  Doesn't matter--that
grill was infested with gluten.  I believe they fried the fries in the same
oil as the flour coated onion rings.  It is just not worth eating anything
there but a salad.

Carnegie Deli, the Stage Deli and almost any deli is perfect.  Corned Beef
is not made with gluten.  The meat is steamed with a variety of seasonings,
all of which are fresh and not glutenized for pourability. You can have it
with their wonderful cole slaw and pickles.

Too bad you won't have time to get out to Long Island to go to Cafe Baldo,
which is heaven for Celiacs.  You really should go. You can go to Penn
Station and take the Long Island Railroad out and get a cab at the station
to go to the restaurant. It is worth the trip and you can take stuff back
with you.
 ------
I've never had trouble eating at any Hard Rock Cafe. I usually go to the one
in Philadelphia and Myrtle Beach though this year I will be going to New
York City on New Years day and we plan on eating at the Hard Rock. they
offer a lot of fried food so be careful. I always order either a steak or
grilled chicken. I've also eaten the ribs and chicken wings with no ill
effects (NO BLU Cheese on the wings though :( ) They may have distilled
vinegar and I know there is controversary surrounding vinegars. I have CD
and DH and my DH acts up a day or two after and accidental ingestion.

I don't know anything about the Carnegie Deli being GF but be careful about
the Corned beef and pastrami. Maybe you should call first. Hope this is
helpful and most of all HAVE FUN

RESPONSE FROM SHOFAR:

Thank you for visiting the Shofar web site.  (http://www.shofar-
kosher.com/main.html)  We appreciate your interest in our products and are
happy to
assist you with your questions and/or concerns.

Shofar hot dogs are gluten free, therefore, no wheat, corn, barley or other
gluten containing substances are
included in this product.

Thank you,
Sincerely,