From:
"S. Mcleod" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Mcleod
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:41:30 +1200

I've received a few more comments and suggestions about allergic reactions
to bandaids.
Thanks to all the people who responded. All your comments were much
appreciated.
So here are the edited high-lights:

- I have this problem.  Red, itchy, burning, swollen and takes about a
week to go away.  Very nasty.  My very worst case was when I'd been in
an auto accident and they kept me on an EKG machine overnight.  My skin
reaction was more painful and lasted longer than anything from the
accident.  I looked like I'd had alien suckers attached all over my body.

- My daughter used to get those until she went both milk and gluten-free.
Other symptoms she had included itchy bumps on both thighs, which have also
cleared up on the gluten-free, casein-free diet. When she was suffering from
them she did better with the bandaids that are labeled as being for
sensitive skin.

- Reaction to adhesive has created a market for many "sensitive" skin tapes.
Try different bandaid brands and see if you can find one that does not cause
a reaction.

-Try the new liquid Band-Aid - I haven't checked the status out, but worked
for me.

- If you are using Johnson and Johnson brand, which is the brand name
Bandaid,
their adhesive is very irritating.  My son wears a medica alert bracelet,
and the MA people
actually have bandaids in their database of most common allergens.

- I have major reactions to bug bites.  I have made them worse by ointment
that I put on.  My doctor said that many people have reactions to Neosporin
and to try polysporin. That has seemed to help me this year with bites.

Finally, from my own research: for those allergic to latex here are a few
quotes from "The Allergy Bible" by Linda Gamblin, pub. 2001.    ISBN 1
902757 54 8

"The substances that provoke a contact dermatitis reaction to latex are
additives called rubber accelerators, whereas immediate IgE-mediated
reactions are to the natural proteins in latex." p.55

"The immune cells that produce contact dermatitis recognise their antigen by
means of receptors on the cell surface. These receptors work in the same way
as antibodies and are therefore capable of cross-reactions." p.54

Those with latex allergy may also develop a cross reaction to "various
fruits and vegetables, principally chestnut, banana, avocado and kiwifruit.
This reaction is due to a shared enzyme called a chitinase that protects
plants from insect pests" The sap of  the rubber tree is richly laced with
chitinase. p.15

Hope that was of help to someone. The book doesn't specifically address
adhesive allergy but there is a section on Coeliac (celiac) Disease.
Regards,
Stella.