From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:50:38 -0700
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:43:35 -0500, Paleogal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>You might have to cut and paste this one.  Science is saying that the immune
>system might be compromised if you exercise before breakfast.  Oliva
>
>http://www.thisislondon.com/dynamic/news/top_story.html?in_review_id=653841&
>in_review_text_id=625044

It seems to be the usual media piece on something technical, ie completely
garbled.

The whole basis seems to be this sentence:

" But levels of the chemical IgA, which helps protect the body against
infections, were down dramatically in the morning, which meant the swimmers
were running the risk of picking up infections. "

... and then there is no connection with how EXERCISE affects all this - only
that IgA is less in the morning.    Is exercising a particularly dangerous
activity in terms of contact with infectious organisms?  It seems to me that if
you go to a museum and library in the morning, you run a higher risk of
contacting an infectious organism than a jog in the fresh air (assuming that
you live in an area where you can do that).

Also, for males, this advice is contradicted by the well known fact that
testosterone peaks in the morning, and so weight training is significantly more
effective for males in the morning, especially before 9am.

--
Cheers,

Ken