From:
Craig Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:49:45 -0400
Janice in GA wrote:

>> So now I am back on strict paleo (or as strict as I
>>can get it) and repeat constantly to myself "CARBS ARE NOT
>>FOOD" in the hopes of changing my brain's mind about it.
>
>Hear here!  I say to myself "You're an addict -- there is NO safe level of
>this food for you!

I'm really struggling with this; I'm now convinced that not only
am I a carb addict, I'm also allergic to several different
grains.  The problem is that it's not an immediate reaction, like
someone's going into anaphylactic shock over strawberries or
shellfish.  I notice the effects after several days of eating
grains---like a wheezing in my chest when I'm sleeping, or
painful edema in my legs.  I almost wish it were more immediate,
so that my body would effectively prevent me from indulging.
Instead, I wrestle with the allure of carbs the way an alcoholic
does; right now it's all I can do to keep from driving a half
hour to get hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

I believe in paleo; I'm just not good about the greater
strictures that paleo places on me compared with other low-carb
approaches.  I like my cup of coffee with cream every day (only
one, but large and very strong), and I like cheese, cream and
butter.  I think, however, that I will end up on the strict paleo
path sooner or later.  I don't think I'll survive any other way.

.:. Craig