From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:29:44 -0400
>fashion. Click onto my website and read my about my experience with whole,
>complex grains and carbos.

I can't seem to get to the website (it says "Cannot find Server") so I have
a question; Did you eat commercial whole grain bread or did you make your
own freshly milled bread?

See http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/Publications/EAP35.htm for what can be found in
commercial breads;

"Today, the Canadian Food and Drug Act and Regulations Division 13, B.13.001
permits the addition of numerous chemicals to white, whole wheat, and rye
flours (Daniels, 1978). These include chlorine, chlorine dioxide, benzoyl
peroxide, potassium bromate, ammonium persulfate, ammonium chloride, acetone
peroxide, azodicarbonamide, ascorbic acid, l-cysteine, mono-calcium
phosphate. Regulations also specify the acceptable levels. The addition of a
variety of chemicals to bread is also permitted in the USA, but in many
European countries the use of additives is almost completely prohibited
(Jenkins, 1975). In Germany, for instance, chemical oxidizing agents were
banned in 1958 (Marine & Van Allen, 1972).

Nitrogen bichloride, also known as agene, was one of the earliest bleaching
agents. After 40 years of use, it was finally found to cause canine
hysteria, and was outlawed (Rorty, 1954). The currently most common
bleaching agent is benzoyl peroxide. It must be neutralized by adding such
substances as: calcium carbonate (chalk!), calcium sulphate, dicalcium
phosphate, magnesium carbonate, potassium aluminum sulphate, sodium aluminum
sulphate, starch, and tricalcium phosphate.

The most common maturing agent in use is potasssium bromate, and it is added
with carriers such as calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, or magnesium
carbonate. An alternative method to oxidize the flour to cause the same
improvements in bread quality, is overmixing the dough three to four times
normal to bring it in contact with oxygen. The lipoxidase enzyme in wheat
germ or in soya flour, if it is added, uses the oxygen to oxidize the flour
(Horder et al., 1954).

In addition to the chemicals permitted to be added to flour, many more are
permitted to be added to bread before baking to facilitate the manufacturing
process, to produce a light texture, and to improve conservation quality.
These chemicals include emulsifiers, conditioners, and preservatives (Hall,
1974). At the present time, the Health Protection Branch in Canada allows
the addition of almost 30 different chemicals, in limited quantities, to
flour and bread. Yeast may also contain the Yeast foods additives: calcium
sulfate and ammonium chloride (Aubuchon, 1990). Chemicals likely to be found
in conventional breads include: lecithin, mono- and di- glycerides,
carragheenan, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, dicalcium sulfate,
ammonium chloride, potassium bromate, calcium bromate, potassium iodate,
calcium peroxide, azodicarbonamide, tricalcium phosphate, monocalcium
phosphate, calcium propionate, sodium propionate, sodium diacetate, lactic
acid, calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate, lactylic stearate, sodium stearyl
fumarate, succinylated monoglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and all-glycerides
(Marine & Van Allen, 1972) "

I used to mill my own flour (nowadays I am experimenting with little or no
grains in my diet) and immediately bake bread from it , make salmon
sandwiches from that and then freeze them. Any bread that I don't make
myself I consider potentially toxic to my system.

>who transitioned into grain based diets.  As Joseph Brasco says: "In most
>parts of the world, whenever cereal-based diets were first adopted as a
>staple food replacing the primarily animal-based diets of hunter-gatherers,
>there was a characteristic reduction in stature, a reduction in life span, an
>increase in infant mortality, an increased incidence of infectious disease,
>an increase in diseases of nutritional deficiencies (i.e., iron deficiency,
>pellagra), and an increase in the number of dental caries and enamel defects.
>In a review of 51 references examining human populations from around the
>earth and from differing chronologies, as they transitioned from
>hunter-gathers to farmers, one investigator concluded that there was an
>overall decline in both the quality and quantity of life. " There has also
>been a documented loss of brain mass.  Whatever the reasons our ancestors
>adopted grains as the mainstay of their diet (hunger, curiosity, starch
>addiction, opioids, convenience, or some combination of factors) they
>certainly signed a compact with the devil on behalf of their progeny. More
>recently the powers that be at the USDA made another compact with the
>powerful Agribusiness bunch and recommended that we eat even more of the
>stuff, but now in a low fat form. With artificial lights blaring constantly
>mimicking the long days of summer which informs our ancient hormonal systems
>that it's time to load up on carbs to prepare for winter, this bit of advice
>might just do us in. But that's another discussion.

I am leaning towards what you indicate here as probably right...

Marilyn