From:
Peetie Wheatstraw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:50:06 -0600
> Date:    Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:18:53 -0800
> From:    David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Clone W2kP Desktop
>
> On 15 Jan 2003, at 18:34, Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
>
> > Hoping that it was, I copied everything from MTP2 to WDP2
> > (including NTDETECT, NTLOADER, BOOT.INI and PAGEFILE.SYS)
> > using Explorer, then opened the case, disabled the Maxtor,
> > re-jumped the WD drive, reconfigured the bios for 1 drive,
> > and tested. It appeared that it was gonna boot OK but
> > eventually told me of a problem with PAGEFILE.SYS:
> > instructed me how to fix it when the desktop came up, then
> > failed to produce the desktop.  PAGEFILE.SYS (190 mb) was on
> > WDP2 but it had been copied from MTP2. W2KP cheerfully,
> > cheerfully went into an infinite loop. Anybody know how to
> > dodge this tender sweet little problem?
>
>   Based on experience with NT and 2K, at this point I would
> attempt a re-
> install and, when offered the opportunity, choose to "repair
> the existing
> installation".
>   My expectation is that this will apply whatever changes are
> needed to make
> this a bootable/runnable installation of the OS.
>
> David Gillett

David,

I wonder if you could supply a bit more detail. I haven't
done a W2k install for a long time. Select "New Install"
and not "Upgrade"? Etc etc.

As I recall, the W2kP install CD is frought with design
problems and lack of info re "what options to expect" ...

Also, could you reflect on the general practicality
of cloning a drive with common utilities and maybe
PM7 (without Ghost or similar products)? If practical,
how would you go about it?

  Thanks,
  Peetie