Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:23:44 +1300
Thanks to Bob and Mark for a thorough run-down on PCI as opposed to AGP, GFX
cards. I'm sure everyone clearly understands the situation now, I sure do.

This brings a related issue to mind, concerning graphics, video capture and
video editing, perhaps Mark or Bob might be able to comment on this also.

A retired customer, who's running XP on a reasonably recent Dell machine,
dabbles in TV tuners, home video, remote video (like surveillance cameras)
and general imaging hobby activities.  He's no expert, often creating
problems for himself, but manages to keep himself busy and interested.

He's asked me to find out what software and hardware he needs to enable him
to edit and save to HDD, around 20 years worth of home video.

I'm assuming that this is footage that he's shot with older video cameras,
and subsequently committed to VCR tape. He'll also be adding new material
from time to time, and this will come from his new digital video camera.

Eventually he plans to burn the material to DVD, but doesn't want to commit
to this system until the DVD standard has settled down, so for the time
being he'll save it to a large HDD.

Cost won't be a factor so much as quality and ease of use.  In fact he's
intimated that he might consider a new computer altogether when I tell him
what he needs.

Any information on this topic would be much appreciated.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand