From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:35:09 -0800
On 19 Nov 2002, at 21:29, Thomas J. Holmes III wrote:

> This is where I am now:  I will try and do anything that might, possibly,
> help my situation out.  Nothing has worked yet.  The specifications of my
> machine are as follows:  Toshiba Satellite 2800 series; 6 GB hard drive;
> 64 mb factory ram + 64 mb upgrade chip; Windows ME (standard edition, no
> upgrades); 650mHz processor; Built in modem (56k) and ethernet (NIC);
> using a new patch cable that has been tested professionally and by other
> working machines; all available updates were installed before resetting
> the network configuration.

  If you can access local machines, but not the Internet, that points toward
your TCP/IP configuration having a problem.  [You may be able to reach local
machines either because you also have some non-Internet protocols installed,
such as NetBEUI, or because the TCP/IP problem is specifically with routing
to/from other networks.]

  So let's dig a bit deeper into your TCP/IP configuration.  What addresses
are you using on the router and the laptop?  DHCP?  NAT?

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml