From:
"Richard T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:14:42 -0500
Hello Esteemed group!
---------------------------
This is the subject  machine:
Win98-2
Shuttle HOT 951P mobo.
AMD k-5 500 cpu
128 meg SDRAM
1.3 Seagate (master)
8.5 Maxtor (slave)
STB Glyder2 video card
Memorex cd/rw
Acer cdr
250 AT watt ps
---------------------------
I'll try to be as brief as possible.
Was asked by a colleague to ghost a Seagate 1.3 gig drive's contents to
a new 18 gig IBM Deskstar. I formatted the 18 with the IBM utility. The
"clone" went well, however, the new disk would not boot. I repeated the
procedure a few times & then checked Symantec's FAQ which recommended
flashing the bios on the Shuttle HOT-951P board, which I did. Still no
luck. I then brought in a 20 gig Maxtor,
 had a successful clone & it booted. I turned the machine off,
re-connected the 8 gig slave & it showed that it needed formatting and
it was blank. I couldn't get into it, either. I shut down and
disconnected that drive. Upon re-boot I got a scan disk notice and lots
of bad clusters were found. The Scan Disk could not complete.
I tried in vain a few more times, always getting the same result, so I
re-formatted the 20 gig Maxtor and did a fresh install of win98. It
re-booted fine. I then installed all drivers (modem, video card, sound
card etc) all went fine. The next day, I tried to boot the computer and
it went as far as "updating ESCD" and then the screen would blank out
completely. It would, however start in "safe mode". I noticed some
clicking from the power supply on the re-boot. Does it sound like a
power supply problem?

   I knew it was time to write when a colleague of ours walked by and
saw the owner of the machine & I in a frenzy and said: DUDE, you're
getting a DELL!

Please help us!!

Richard Tabas
Philadelphia, Pa