From:
Barry Keith Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 05:41:04 -0500
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:32:34 -0000, Eoin O Driscoll <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>hi list
>
>i have a a client who has a new win xp pc ,, when he plays a dvd a blue
>screen comes up with 3 messages on it.
>power dvd does not support the current settings
>ddraw overlay mode is the recommended mode
>close other video applications and retry
>lower the screen resolution, colour and screen refesh rate
>update to latest microsft directx version
>
>there are no other video applications running
>lowering or increasing resolution makes no difference, refresh rate at its
>lowest
>client has directx version 8.1 on pc
>
>incidentally i removed power dvd and tried win dvd and the dvd played but
>kept on skipping,
>i re-installed power dvd and it does actualy play the dvd but only the sound
>,no picture but this screen stays where it is,
>can anyone help?
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

You need to check your video settings! Go to "Display properties", "Settings", "Advanced" and you will find loads of different options (Varies depending on video card & drivers.). Check that direct 3D is set to high quality, open GL is set to mid range or above, hardware accelleration is on full/max, also check that the correct monitor is displayed on the monitor page and that the adapter is correctly shown also. all these settings will have an effect on DVD playback, so it's worth checking that they're right.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com