From:
Fred Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 19:51:01 -0400
Adam,

A couple questions.
1: When you are talking about getting only one on-line, online to what?
2: When all three are plugged into the hub, is there a connection/link light
next to each port on the hub and are all three lit?
3: Are you trying to use TCP/IP?

  What you want, I'm assuming, is a static IP address for each computer to
work as if the three computers are the only computers on the network (in
this case, via your single hub), and you are using TCP/IP, which has been
installed on each computer.  This is a very basic peer to peer network.
  We will use a non-Internet recognizable IP addresses for this example,
simple ones easy to remember.
  For WINDOWS 98 and Windows Me (not sure about Me),
    right click Network Neighborhood on the Desktop,
    select Properties,
    select "TCP/IP -> whatever you NIC is",
    select properties,
    mark "Select an IP Address",
    enter 10.1.0.1 for the IP Address, 255.255.0.0 for the Subnet Mask,
    select OK, then OK, reboot if it asks.
  Repeat for the next Win98/Me computer, except use 10.10.0.2 and
255.255.0.0.
  For Windows 2000,
    right click My Network Places on the Desktop,
    select Properties,
    right click Local Area Connection (if it's not there, you haven't
configured your NIC for TCP/IP)
    select Properties,
    select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    select Properties,
    mark "Use the following IP address",
    enter 10.1.0.3 for the IP address, 255.255.0.0 for the Subnet Mask,
    You can leave Default Gateway blank, it might complain when you save,
but you don't need it for a simple network.
    Select OK, OK, etc.

Now, if everything is plugged into the hub, open a Dos windows on each
computer and try to ping the IP addresses.  You should get a response from
each one, including the IP address of the computer doing the pinging.

If you are planning on hooking this up to an Internet connection, how to do
that depends on what your Internet connection is, such as Cable, DSL, campus
network, your ISP preferences and rules, and connecting equipment.

Fred Nielson