From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:10:42 -0700
On 9 Jul 2002, at 5:43, Ted Gamin wrote:

> Neil, Rest easy!   Win 2K is very stable and should
> perform quite nicely. We use it at work (State of
> Michigan) and find it does a fantastic job in
> multi-media and everyday computer activities.
> Microsoft has a web-site "Compatibility list and I am
> sure your proposed hawr. is on it. The problem really
> involves useing "Old" hardware ...stuff 6-10 years old
> which Win2K does not have :preferred drivers" for.
> Good Luck !
>
> Ted
> --- Parrothead B&B <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >     I am considering buying a computer from a friend
> > that has Win 2K Professional installed.  I would
> >.
> >     All suggestions and comments will be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Neil Rogers

  While I'm very happy with Win2K as a desktop OS, I do have several
bits of multimedia hardware, only 2-3 years old, which the
manufacturers chose to support more fully on 98 SE than on 2K.  (In
some cases, this was apparent only in the very fine print....)  Some
of the manufacturers have since updated their 2K support; others have
chosen to provide 2K/XP with a newer version of the hardware.

  So while I wouldn't worry with a new machine, I think Neil's
concern is justified -- a used machine *may* contain some hardware
that is not fully supported by this OS.  Neil, if you have remaining
doubts about support for any of the components, they can generally be
resolved by visiting the manufacturer's web site.  (Although I've
found, sometimes, that determining exactly which of several similarly-
named ATI cards one has can be tricky.  For instance, they've been
using the "All-in-Wonder" name for well over a decade, almost back to
the introduction of VGA 15 years ago.)

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml