From:
Aileen Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:59:14 -0500
EatingMeat.com Newsletter
Issue: 4
August 2002
Welcome to the EatingMeat.com newsletter. This newsletter is based on my book
EATING MEAT: The Truth Behind the Lies. You can by my book for only $8.95
(including an additional book and DietCalc Software) at my website
http://www.eatingmeat.com/eatingmeatbook.htm.

I'm writing this newsletter to promote the health benefits of eating meat. It
will include stories, thoughts and opinions about meat eating, fad diets and
diet falsehoods. I'll include recipes and advice on preparing meat.
-- Vicki Palmer

"Hey, Good Lookin', What's Your Type?"
A Review of The Blood Type Diet
If science could find us the perfect mate, it would probably start by
matching blood types.  Not only could you donate blood to your spouse in an
emergency, but, if you follow this diet, you could actually eat the same food
as each other.

The Blood Type Diet is based on the book "Eat Right 4 Your Type" and the more
recent book "Live Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Peter D'Adamo.  The basic idea of
the book is that your blood type determines how different foods react in your
system.  The same food can be highly beneficial to one blood type while
highly detrimental to another blood type.  There are four different blood
types: A, B, AB, and O.  Blood types A and O are by far the most common in
America.

D'Adamo recommends that people with type O blood eat a fairly high protein
diet including lean beef.  He strongly urges Type O's to avoid wheat, corn
and dairy products.  On the other hand, people with type A blood are
encouraged to eat a diet based on plant-protein and avoid dense protein
sources such as beef.  His reasoning is that type O blood is the oldest blood
and evolved on a caveman-type animal food diet.  Blood type A came later and
evolved on a more civilized, agrarian diet including grains and other less
dense protein sources.

People with blood type B blood are supposed to eat a diet balanced with meat
and vegetable proteins and apparently thrive on dairy products.  People with
the uncommon blood type of AB share certain dietary traits of the A and B
blood types and wind up eating basically vegetarian with some dairy.  Each
blood type is given a laundry list of items to enjoy or avoid in each food
category -- anything from bananas to sunflower seeds to cinnamon can be
beneficial to one blood type and deleterious to another.

Although it reads like a dietary horoscope, there actually is a sound basis
for the diet.  Your blood is programmed to react to a given entity as friend
or foe based on its shape.  A negative effect causes agglutination of the
blood cells, while a positive effect enhances immune system function.  The
only question is just how important this effect is.  Certainly eating a diet
with the proper balance of the macronutrients (fats, proteins and
carbohydrates) should occupy the bulk of our attention.

I followed the blood type diet for about a year.  I am a blood type O and I
did fairly well on this diet.  The main benefit I found was that it was the
first diet I read that finally convinced me that there wasn't anything wrong
with me because I didn't do well on a wheat-based diet.  It was with this
book that I got my first clue that wheat was not an ideal food item.

My main criticism of the diet is the recommendations for the blood type A
(and AB) diet.  He highly recommends tofu and other soy products as a main
source of protein for Type A's.  This is a recommendation based only on his
own opinion and the politics of our time.  Even if it were true that Type A's
evolved on a plant-protein diet, they could not have evolved to adapt to soy
foods.  Soy foods have only been used for any extent of time in the Far East,
an area where type B is most prevalent.  Blood Type A's developed primarily
in Europe where they never even saw a soy bean until this century.  D'Adamo
himself is a Type A, a naturopath, and his father was a Type A naturopath.
He grew up on the diet he recommends for Type A's: vegetarian with
vegetables, whole grains and soy products.  It is only natural that his
recommendations would be skewed by his own bias and experience.

His primary reason for recommending that Type A's avoid beef is that they do
not produce the digestive fluids necessary to digest beef properly, either in
the stomach or in the intestine.  He has done research matching fluid levels
to blood type and claims that Type A's do tend to have lower levels,
especially when compared to Type O.  Based on this same evidence, my
conclusion is the exact opposite.  Every Type A subject found to be deficient
in digestive juices could be assumed to have been eating the standard
American diet high in sugar and grains.  My conclusion is that type A's are
even more sensitive than Type O's to today's high-grain diet and that is
reflected by their low digestive juice output.  Therefore, it is even more
important for Type A's to return to a meat-based caveman diet.  This could be
done gradually if a person feels a genuine difficulty digesting meat.

My mother and my husband are both Type A's.  They tried following the blood
type diet recommendations for several months but wound up feeling miserable.
Apart from the horrible taste of tofu, my husband just did not feel well
after eating it.  He does much better eating the same food that I do as a
Type O (not to mention it's much easier for me to cook without having to make
separate meals for each of us.)

The blood type diet may be useful in helping you locate foods that may be
giving you trouble.  But don't let it scare you into following a strict
regimen.  In the end, only you know which foods agree with you and which
foods you should avoid.

eBook
Have you gotten a copy of Eating Meat: The Truth Behind The Lies? What? You
need get on over to http://www.eatingmeat.com/eatingmeatbook.htm and buy it.
For only $8.95 (including another book of recipes and DietCalc Software) it's
a great deal!

August Recipe
Adapted from a high-carb recipe, this has become one of my favorite, easy
dishes to put together.  Leftovers are great and extra servings can be frozen
for an easy breakfast or lunch in the future.

Low-Carb Chili

3 lbs lean ground beef
2 cans of beans, your choice
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes in puree
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Spice Mix:
3 T chili powder
2 T cumin, ground
1 T coriander, ground
1 T dried oregano
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
5 tsp salt

Mix the seasonings together to make the spice mix.  Heat about half the olive
oil in a large pot.  Add the onions and peppers and sauté over medium heat
for 7 minutes.  Add the rest of the oil to the pot, then stir in the spice
mix and the garlic.  Lower the heat a little and stir for 2 minutes.  Add the
beans (with liquid) and  tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Crumble the beef into
the mixture.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Leave
lid off for last 15 minutes to thicken, if desired.

Makes 9 servings, each having 30 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrate.

Optional: For super low-carb chili, omit beans and replace with ½ cup of water.

-- For advertising information within the EatingMeat.com newsletter contact
[log in to unmask] for details.

-- Copyright 2002, eatingmeat.com. All rights reserved. Publication or
storage is strictly prohibited without prior written permission. But, you can
circulate this e-mail publication via manual forwarding by e-mail to others
providing that 1) the e-mail is transmitted in its entirety, from the very
top to the very bottom and that 2) no fee is charged.

-- Information in this document is provided "as is," without warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied
warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom
from infringement.

-- Please don't go but if you must unsubscribe details are below :-(

-- To unsubscribe, reply to this e-mail with "unsubscribe" as the Subject to
and we will take care of it. (Make sure this email is from the account you
are subscribed with.)