Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:04:09 +0900
Wally Day wrote:

> How does one prepare lambquarters? Raw, cooked? Roots,
> leaves?

I just nibble the tender leaves. A few every time I visit
the garden. That and a half a dozen others.

> > Got bunnies in your yard? Squirrels? Just plant a
> > few bushes...
>
> No bunnies. Couple squirrels. Lots of gophers - they
> like all the stuff I've been planting :)

If you increase cover, low bushes, hedges, thick flower
beds, bunnies should appear if they are native to that area.
My sister has bunnies that hide in her strawberry patch
around the foundation of the house! If there are patches of
wood nearby, even deer might appear. The number of animals
who are adapting themselves to the new ecosystems of cities
and suburbs is surprising. You can encourage this, and still
keep within the bounds of your local rules. Reduce bare lawn
as much as allowed, replace it with hedges or anything that
provides cover or food. A neatly trimmed raspberry square
should be acceptable to the neighbors, and to the bunnies.

> Like I said, it's another story. When I originally
> purchased my acreage the developer had a 'rural'
> subdivision in mind (horses, llamas, farm houses,
> etc). However, he died shortly thereafter and the new
> developers decided to make create an 'exclusive'
> subdivision of half million dollar estates. I can
> 'stretch' the CC&R's somewhat, but not like I was
> originally planning....

How much space is there between houses? Do any of the old
rules still rmain in force?