EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 09:15:35 -0500
Does anyone have any experience with glucosamine as part of a program to
mitigate osteoarthritis.  I developed chronic groin pain (which is usually
referred from a problem with the hip and was diagnosed with "early" changes
to the hip consistent with osteoarthritis.  The joint capsule was filled
with fluid and I was given Viox, the newest "super" antiimflammatory.  I
have been on it for a month and it did help.  However,  I did stop tennis
and have (and now must, I suppose) kicks against resistance at my aikido
class.  I have initiated my own rehab with twice a week Pilates exercises
while continuing aikido with its stretching and full body involvement.  Up
until this flare up of arthritis (which I equate to a skiing ding to the hip
about 5 years ago,  I had been playing tennis a couple of times a week,
biking, lifting weights (employing some of Art Devany's ideas such as
alactic training) and aikido with some hiking thrown in.  I am still doing
all of it but for the tennis and some of the more radical stuff at aikido.
I am 52 years old and have the sedentary occupation of trial attorney.  Any
suggestions as to how to fight back against this supposed cartilage issue
would be very welcome.    Rick