CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 00:40:47 EST
<sigh>. I guessed I jinxed myself when I said I wouldn't explain these things
again......

In a message dated 4/3/2002 7:42:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> You sure keep sounding like you mean "Words mean what I want them to
> mean."

No. I "mean" that things are more complex then you, Bill, and others are
making them out to be.

First you said Jewish is a cultural term not a religious one,>
> but then you said that anything anti-Jewish is anti-semitic,

Yes. But anti-Zionism is not anti-semitic. But, since you don't understand
the differences here, you are going to continue to be confused.

> which means
> Jewish is a racial term, since Semite is a racial term.  Now you're
> saying Jewish is an ethnic term, but Palestinian is not.

I don't know where you get these things from what I said. Judaism refers, in
different contexts, to the religion of people, the history of a people, the
ethnicity of a people, and, in the case of Zionists, the national statehood
of a people. If you want to reduce it to one finite set of definitions with
one-to-one relationships, you're never going to be satisfied. The only thing
that is finite right now are the historico-economic conditions of people in
the Israeli state and occupied territories RIGHT NOW. And even that is
changing.

> Could you
> define all your terms precisely so we can communicate with you?

I have defined them, again and again in these messages. You just don't like
my definitions. In fact, you can't stand them.

I can't educate you on these things. You need to educate yourself.

-- David