C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:29:12 -0400
A guy here at work and his wife both have sleep apnea and use CPAP machines.
They're both very obese, too, and I think that's a factor.  From the little
bit I've just read, what happens is your brain shuts down non-sympathetic
musculature during REM sleep--probably to keep you fram "acting out" dreams.
Anyway, once the REM sleep is over the brain stem should flip the switch
back on, but it doesn't.  So, basically you're awake (or you think you are)
but you can't move or speak.  The more "technical" entries indicated that
once folks have been educated to the phenomenon and the fact that it's
harmless, they realize it will pass and they fall back to sleep.  That's
reassuring!

A couple of factors are that I take diazepam for spasms at night (probably
going to stop that), and almost everyone who experiences this is sleeping on
their back (unfortunately, the only position that's comfortable).

Then again, it could be.........SATAN!!! Or Dana Carvey, take yer pick.