C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:55:20 -0400
Yes to both questions.  The ACLU was whacked by the Ohio Supreme Court as
the ACLU sued on grounds that the plates infringed on freedom of privacy.  I
don't know what precedent the OSC used in their ruling--I think it was the
"aww, that's too bad" doctrine.  I used to live in the #1 county for DWI
plate issues--there were more drunk tags than teeth in that place!

Ohio has a lot of goofy law enforcement policies, but it is hard-nosed on
drunk-driving--which is as it should be.  Lots of "rolling checkpoints" on
the weekend nights, setting up roadblocks at random.

On my license, under "restriction", I have a box checked for "no special
attachments".  I was really P.O.'d when the examining officer put that on my
license years ago, but he said, "Son, with the way you walk, if you ever get
pulled over for any reason whatsoever, you're headed for a breathalyzer.
With this 'restriction', the officer will know that you're 'crippled' and
won't take you into town for a blood-alcohol check."  This was in '75, so
you can imagine how many times I would have had to blow in the tube had he
not put that on my license!

Ohio has had a fair number of cops killed by drunk drivers, so I suppose
that's why Ohio L.E. tends to be hard-core on the DWI.

-Kyle