AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:30:40 -0600
Friday, 20 December, 2002, 17:21 GMT
Nigeria take women's trophy

Nigeria took the Women's Cup of Nations with a 2-0 win over Ghana's
Black Queens in Wari.
It was the third time they had won the tournament, meaning they get to
keep the trophy.

" We've very excited to have won it three times "
Nigeria coach Sam Okpodu

Ghana had beaten the Super Falcons in the group stage of the
competition, but Nigeria gained their revenge with lethal aplomb.

Perpetual Nkocha got the Nigeria's first after a skilful dribble down
the left flank.

And Ekpo Effionwan netted the second on 74 minutes with a clam finish
from a prolonged build-up.

Nigeria were always in control, although Ghana's Alberta Sackey missed a
great chance to put the Black Queens back into the game, miscuing on 51
minutes.

That was after the match had been had up for several minutes after fans
began to pelt the Togolese referee with missiles.

Tough match

After the game, an ecstatic Sam Okpodu - the Super Falcons coach - told
the BBC he was proud to have won the trophy in Nigeria.

"Nigeria is known as the country of football, and I'm glad that I'm the
man who's led them to their third championship," Okpodu said.

"We're very excited to have won it three times - we're not doing
anything but celebrating."

And he paid tribute to the team's opponents.

"The Ghanaians put up a tough fight," he said.

This competition between Nigeria and Ghana will go for a very long time
to come."