AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ALEX LAGIA REDD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:52:23 -0500
This warning goes out to prominent Liberian political figures and
social reform activists regarding Taylor's latest invitation to the so-
called reconciliation conference in Monrovia. According to a press
release, exiled Liberian politicians, the LURD and human rights
advocates are being invited to smoke peace pipe.

Why would anyone dare to go into Taylor's land of lethal anarchy? What
I envisioned is that the reconciliation conference is organized as a
springboard to capture these prominent Liberians for hostage. I may
sound cynical, however, it my personal expression judging from Taylor's
track record of dishonesty. Taylor wants international attention and
would use every trick in the books to get it. Prominent Liberian
politicians, who Taylor considers as bitter oppositions are target for
Taylor's ransom, a way to compromise his survival and stave-off or
weaken the current opposing forces.
As I write, I imagine a special diabolic network of Taylor's security
has been set up to ambush these invited conference guest upon arrival
for ransom. The man is incapable to govern! Reconciliation and the need
to prioritize basic ingredients of democracy should have dominated his
administration's agenda since the 1997 election, which brought him to
power. Taylor's lips, utterances and track record of incongruity since
his insurgence to oust Doe, have proven detrimental to the survival of
Liberia’s image to the international community.

As a matter of fact, no amount of word(s) would convince virtually
anyone domiciled in the U.S. or else where in the world to attend
Taylor's so-called reconciliation conference. Taylor's autocratic style
of management is characterized by hatred, mistrust and unlawful
accountability, with which most prominent exiled Liberian politicians,
journalists, activists do not appreciate.
Here's my recommendation to Liberia’s Charles Taylor, if he's really
itchy for genuine reconciliation and peace:

1. Practice liberalization---this entails a mix of policy and social
changes.
(a) A greater space for organization of working class activities
(b) Loosing the grip on media censorship
(c) Tolerate political opposition
(d) Prioritize legal safeguards for individuals---habeas corpus etc.
(e) Restructuring and orientation for the nation's security to respect
the sanctity of human life.

2. Practice democratization, which entails liberalization but with a
more and wider political concept.
(a) Provide the atmosphere for open contestation for the right to
control government through competitive elections, in turn which
determine who governs.
(b) Ensure and recognize the legitimate right of political
institutions' right to campaign freely through out Liberia without
harassment, intimidation and arbitrary arrest.

(3) In order to regain trust and security would require sincere
reaching-out campaigns.
(a)Organize a national reconciliation conference (with Taylor's
presence) through the U.N., U.S., ULAA, ALJA, Liberian political
parties, LURD and other interesting agencies or parties.
(b) Since there is no trust and respect for Monrovia security, such
conference should be held in a neutral country (eg) the United States
or any other country except Boukina Faso, Libya and La Cote D'voire. I
would prefer the U.S. with the presence of Charles Taylor and
delegation.

I strongly believe that if these measures are taken by Taylor, the
gradual rekindling of trust and hope for national stability and peace
would be a starting point.

SEE BELOW THE NAMES OF LARGE NUMBER OF EXILED LIBERIANS INVITED FOR THE
RECONCILIATION CONFERENEC IN MONROVIA:

Former Vice President Dr. Harry Moniba of the Samuel K.Doe
administration, former Vice President Bennie Warner of the William
R.Tolbert administration, former Interim President Amos Sawyer and
former Transitional Leader David Kpomakpor.

Exiled politicians invited for the conference include Unity Party
Standard Bearer Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, former President Pro Tempore of
the Senate Charles Walker Brumskine, former Chief Justice Chea Cheapoo,
former faction leader Alhaji G.V. Kromah, former transitional lawmaker
George Dweh, LURD spokesman Charles Bennie, leader of the disbanded
INPFL, Gen. Prince Y. Johnson, former ULIMO-J leader Roosevelt Johnson,
LURD Battlefront Commander Chris Farley, LURD military advisor Joe
Wylie, LURD executive Lavela Supuwood and President Taylor's former
Media Advisor, Milton Teahjay.

Others include former Council of State members Dexter Tahyor, Cllr.
Philip Banks and Dr. Vamba Kanneh. Former Transport Minister Francis
Carbah, former faction leader Dr. George E. S. Boley, presidential
candidate Dr. H.Boima Fahnbulleh, eminent citizen and former Secretary
of State J. Rudolph Grimes, newspaper publisher Tom Kamara and former
Foreign Minister Momolu V.S. Sirleaf.

Still others are the former Director of the Catholic Justice and Peace
Commission (JPC), Samuel Kofi Woods, Executive Director of the Center
for
Democratic Empowerment (CEDE), Conmany W.B. Wesseh, New DEAL National
Chairman Alaric Tokpa, Dusty Wolokolie, Gayah Fahnbulleh and Prof.
Willie Belleh.