Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:32:50 -0400
I originally posted:
>>"Inuit women ³usually seem as old at sixty as our
women do at eighty.²(11)

>>"Systemic acidity is responsible for their rapid
rate of aging."

Theola responed:
>>>I haven't read Stefansson, Is this your view or Stefansson's?

My reply:
For the source of Stefansson's quote, see:
Stefansson V, ³Adventures In Diet, Part III,² Harper¹s Monthly (Feb 1936),
p.189.

You may be able to get a librarian to find and copy the article for you.

From my husband's writings, some of which will be in our forthcoming book:
The body strives to keep the blood and extracellular fluids slightly
alkaline (basic), because an acidic condition will irritate and corrode all
tissues. Every food we eat has either an acid or alkaline (basic) ash. Meat,
grains, legumes, dairy products, sugar, salt, and processed foods all have
acid residues.  Fruits and vegetables all have alkaline residues.

Scientists have shown that acid-dominated diets accelerate aging by
dissolving bone and muscle and reducing growth hormone levels.(4-6) Calcium
dissolved from bone by systemic acidity is able to infiltrate soft tissues,
such as arteries, kidneys, or gall bladder. The soft tissues may then become
hard and stiff, the very antithesis of life, causing atherosclerosis,
arthritis, stones, and high blood pressure. Scientists have found that diets
rich in alkaline vegetables and fruits--especially fruits--are most
effective for preventing the dissolution of bone (osteoporosis) that
underlies this process.(7) Consumption of milk actually accelerates bone
loss (see below).

end notes:
4.    Bushinsky DA, ³Acid-base imbalance and the skeleton,² Eur J Nutr
40:238-244.

5.    Sebastian A, Harris ST, Ottaway JH, Todd KM, and Morris RC, *Improved
mineral balance and skeletal metabolism in postmenopausal women treated with
potassium bicarbonate,* NEJM 23 June 1994; 350;25:1776-1781.

6.     Sebastion A, et al, *Diet Evolution, and Aging: The
pathophysiological effects of the post-industrial inversion of the
potassium-to-sodium and base-to-chloride ratios in the human diet,* Euro J
Nut, Vol. 40, No. 5 (2001), 200-213

7.     Muhlbauer RC, et al., *Effect of vegetables on bone metabolism,*
Nature 401: 343-4; New, et al, ³Fruit Best for Bone Health,² Am J Clin Nutr
65(1997): 1831-9.

Hope you find this helpful and interesting.

When I import text from a word processing program to email it sometimes adds
strange characters and change quote marks into 9s or other numbers. I
replaced quote marks with (*).  Hope it is readable.

Sincerely,

Rachel Matesz
(we hope to have our book out by Jan 2003)