Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:24:08 -0500
Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I was away for a week and
then playing catch up at work and am just now getting my
backed up mail read.

While I was gone, I attended the summer celebration of our
Cherokee tribe.  This is a religious time and includes one
day of total fasting from sundown to sundown, followed by a
feast.  I must admit that I was a bit of a problem to the
group since I no longer ate things like biscuits and gravy,
potatoes, corn, fruit cobbler etc and most of our meals are
communal.  Consequently, there were times when the portion
of acceptable paleo food was kinda thin.....  I am somewhat
new to paleo eating, only about 3 months into it.  Before, I
was diagnosed with insulin resistance and diabetes II.  I
was checking my sugar 4 times a day and it was often
elevated even tho I was following their recommended
"diabetic" diet of high carb low calorie lots of fake sugar
and taking 4 different medications including insulin.  Once
switched to paleo, my sugars suddenly became "normal" and
remained so without medication as long as I stayed paleo.
Now the problem:  During the week in camp my sugar went high
again.  I was eating paleo but not a lot of it :)  Can
anyone see how it works that NOT EATING the paleo foods is
somehow as bad for me as is eating the "bad" carbs??  Here's
an example:  the morning we broke camp, we ran out of eggs
at breakfast.  I ended up with little more that 1/4 cup
scrambled and 1 piece of bacon, turning down the biscuits &
gravy.  Things got delayed and I didn't get a chance to eat
again until about 3 pm.  My sugar just before eating was
198.  I ate, waited about 15 minutes and checked the sugar
again.  Down to 116!!  Yes, the machine is correctly
functional - I checked it. This doesn't seem to fit with the
Warrior diet theory quoted below either.  Anyone got any
ideas?  I sure would like to understand what happened.
Since this experience I have made it mandatory that I eat
one full actual paleo MEAL at least every 12 hours and the
sugar is back where it belongs.  It took about 3-4 days of
this before things settled down again.  Surely is confusing
me.  Thanks in advance for any help.

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee