C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:34:23 -0400
If you have less than 10,000 rounds of a single type of cartridge, you need
not register anything with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.
Greater than 10K, then you must have an FFL (Federal Firearms License).  An
FFL means, among other things, that you can sell firearms interstate,
ammunition interstate, etc.  In other words, having an FFL makes you a "gun
dealer" of sorts.  That's in the broadest terms.  There are various
sub-categories of FFL, such as C&R (Curio and Relic), meaning that the
weapons must be >60 years old and/or have some historical significance.  The
point that Bobby and I were trying to make with Anthony is that it is
virtually impossible to keep someone from purchasing a particular cartridge
in quantity.

I think the shooter, loathsome as he is, makes a valid point when he accuses
U.S. law enforcement of bungling the investigation of these crimes.  Heck,
he was "hung up on" by a junior FBI agent during a phone call.  He made SIX
UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPTS to contact the FBI.  I feel sorry for the U.S.
citizenry who have entrusted their safety and liberty to a government that
promises to protect them and then hides behind the Constitution when it
cannot protect them.  Oddly enough, you would think that Handgun Control
Inc. and other gun-control organizations would be making much political hay
over this--especially since we're so close to the November elections.  Two
factors, though, have caused them to bite their lips:

1)  It would be in obvious poor taste to use these tragedies and this crisis
as political fodder AT THIS TIME.

2)  Their own polls are showing the tide is turning against "more gun laws".
Rank and file citizens are realizing that criminals dont'obey laws, and the
law-abiding soul cannot depend on law-enforcement to stand in the gap.  The
most surprising evidence of this is found in the number of women who are
buying guns for personal protection.  A woman under attack does not have the
luxury of calling 911 and waiting for help to arrive, so more and more women
are becoming more proactive in their own personal defense.  Even more
befuddling to HCI, et. al., is that even after people are shown "statistics"
demonstrating that weapons may not decrease the number of crimes of
violence, the "peace of mind", real or imagined, created by having an avenue
of self-defense makes these statistics meaningless in peoples' minds.

But back to the matter at hand: You can be certain this fellow is not one of
the "beer-bellied, camo-clad militia types" of which the U.S. media is so
fond of parading and parodying.  This guy is smart and incredibly controlled
under pressure.  Insane as all get-out, yes, but very cunning.  I would not
at all be surprised if we have Delta operatives on the ground in Va. and Md.
to deal with this guy, posse commitatus notwithstanding.

-Kyle