From:
Silver DarkSky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:41:37 EDT

We skip the Pecans at my house as the ingredients can be rather expensive and
it is so rich no one is going to miss the pecans.

This came from the Oprah show and we are making it today to take along to a
birthday party, mostly so I won't pout so much over the 'other' cake.  This
beats the you know what out of any store bought or mixed cake anyway!

Auntie's Chocolate Cake with Chocolate-Pecan Frosting

Cake
    2 cups your favorite gluten free flour mix.  I use the rice, potato,
tapioca mix unless I am in a rush, then I use the Ener-G mix.
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of salt
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) margarine, cut up
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
    3/4 cup sour cream
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
    1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
    1 pound (about 4 1/3 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans, toasted

To make the cake: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to
350°F. Lightly butter and flour a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, tapping out the
excess flour.

Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl to
combine. In a medium saucepan, bring the butter, margarine, water and cocoa
to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the butter and margarine. Pour
into the flour mixture and whisk well. Add the sour cream, then the eggs and
vanilla, and beat well. Spread evenly in the pan.

Bake until the cake springs back when pressed in the center, about 35
minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack.

To make the frosting: Bring the butter, milk and cocoa to a boil in a large
saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the butter. Gradually stir in
the confectioners' sugar, then the vanilla. Stir in the chopped pecans. Pour
over the warm cake.

Cool the cake in the pan on the rack. Cut into pieces and serve directly from
the pan.

Makes 12 servings.

Blessed Be!
Rev. Silver DarkSky ULC