From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:50:23 -0400

Was surprised to learn on a recent post that Amy's does not use dedicated lines to produce her "gluten free" frozen dinners.  It brings up the whole question of safety and labeling -- even false advertising.   I mean, if you look at the ingredients used in these frozen dinners, they are gluten free.  But the finished product may not be gluten free because of cross contamination from processing wheat products on the same line.  And after all, it is the finished product we're eating, not the individual ingredients.   How can you put "gluten free" on the box when you can't guarantee that?  As a celiac who does not get symptoms right away, I cannot rely on a reaction to tell me whether there is gluten in a product or not.  Just curious as to how you folks out there think of the safety and reliability of "gluten free" convenience products.  Any comments welcome.

Latimer