THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:31:17 -0800
Subject:   Administration: Thyroid is moving next week!

Dear Thyroid Folks,

Thyroid has a new home. We're moving, lock, stock and
barrel, to a new host server sometime next week.  The
list will be kept intact.

Your account and your options should remain just as they
are, so if you are getting the DAILY DIGEST, or any other
special option, you should continue to, if all goes as
planned.

From:  MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU

Saint Johns University, having one of the largest schools of
law in New York City, has been our kind, generous host for
many years - since January 1997, and we will always greatly
appreciate their stewardship.

We were forced to move, along with hundreds of other groups,
because STJOHNS.EDU plans to close public services on
February 01, 2006.

There is some indication that a church based in Rome may
have wished to close non-constituent access to free Internet
services such as ours, in general, to perhaps avoid
misinterpretations of support or `sponsorship.'  Costs are
the announced closure rationale.

To: Information Center for Online Resources and Services

Our new host is ICORS.Org. ICORS is a new non-profit
organization created to provide the same kind of Internet
services we've been using at MAELSTROM.

The new ICORS server is supposed to be good, so reading
Thyroid online, on the Web rather than by e-mail, should be
quicker and easier than ever before.

Thyroid will be on HOLD for several hours while the files
are moved from our old host to the new server.

After the move, the new group discussion address will be:

What Do You Need to Do?

Some of you will need to update spam filters, address books
and favorites/bookmarks.

Also, if you happen to have a password account with the
MAELSTROM LISTSERV robot (sometimes required for
authentication, such as for changing your own e-mail
address), your MAELSTROM password will not work with the new
server. If you need a password account, make one (free, the
same way as before) with the new server, get confirmed, and
then the robot will trust you are you. [Protects your
privacy and prevents some identity spoofing].

Again, because the new "group discussion" address will be
[log in to unmask], you may need to revise where
your e-mail program thinks Thyroid lives. If you "reply" to
an on-list message, your message will probably come back to
the group okay. But if you write a new, fresh contribution,
please be extra careful where your message is headed To:, or
it may never arrive at our new location.

The move may go off without a noticeable hitch, but please,
do expect some slight growing pains as the new ICORS
services come online.

I am revising the Welcome message, and I will revise our Web
pages, too, so now would be a good time to make suggestions
for the improvement of the group and Web pages. Other than
the address and spam filter changes, and your suggestions,
most everything will remain the same, I hope.

If you use spam filters and/or e-mail address books, please,
right now might be the time to plan to modify these.

What Does This Mean In Terms of the Future?

You can expect the list to function almost exactly as it has
in the past. Changes, if any, should be for the better,
because newer software and hardware will be used.

We have indications that our truncated archives, removed
because the old server hard drives filled up, can be
restored on the new server - so our Thyroid Archives will,
once again, go all the way back to January 1997. [It may
take me a month or two, but I'll get them all manually
posted as soon as I can.] <big smile>

The list will most likely move to the new system on
Wednesday, January 11.  I will send an announcement to the
whole group when the move is complete. After that, please
begin sending your messages to the group at our new address,

If you have filters in your e-mail program to allow messages
from the Thyroid group, you must change them to receive
messages from the new server.  Set your email account to
allow messages from all groups at *@listserv.icors.org, or
at least our group [log in to unmask]

The old address may work for a few weeks, but they seem to
intend to close down the old publicly-accessible server,
entirely, so that the thousands of Web links involved will
become error messages, beginning in February, 2006. <deep
sigh>

Is There Any Way I Can Help?

Yes, but money is NOT required. You *can* make a money
contribution to ICORS, if you want to. All ICORS group
owners are required to contribute and individual group
members can help, too.  I paid an annual "owners dues" fee,
which covers the list in general. But if you like the new
service enough to encourage them, just go to the
http://www.icors.org/ and use the "Donation" button. ICORS
are mostly good-hearted volunteers - so your contribution
can help. If you do give ICORS money, please mention the
Thyroid Discussion Group in the process, of course.

Again, ICORS donation is entirely voluntary, and the
nominal dues fee ($20) is ALREADY paid for 2006.

Opt-out

If you do NOT want to make the move to our new server,
and you want to close your Thyroid account now, please
click on this next link to unsubscribe:
mailto:[log in to unmask]

If you have any questions, please ask me at

As always, thank you for your support.

 Pax,
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]> +1 425 788 5337
LISTSERV Discussion list owner:
Allergy ---> http://www.Immune.Com/allergy/index.html
Latex Allergy ---> http://www.Immune.Com/rubber/index.html
Thyroid ---> http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html