From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:21:13 -0800

Hi All--

As usual, ya'll have been absolutely terrific to
respond with so many good suggestions! I started to
e-mail privately, but there were too many replies and
I got behind, so...

My question(s) were: What could I substitute for
cornstarch and tapioca starch in recipes, and, did
anyone have a recipe for breading for fish that would
be crispy and not soggy?

The substitutes for cornstarch and tapioca starch:

One person suggested that if cornstarch and tapioca
starch had just recently become an issue, I should
consider leaky gut and treat it accordingly.

Arrowroot: 7
Potato starch: 3
Corn flour (might not bother me without the germ)

The breading suggestions (for fish, chicken & steak):

www.wheatlessinseattle.com (great fish fry mix)

1/2 c. garfava flour & 1/4 c. potato starch (with sea
salt & baking powder)

Garfava flour

GF bread crumbs (noted that this person didn't buy
fish anymore due to mercury concerns)

2 egg whites
1/2 t. salt
3 t. wine vinegar
3 tbs. arrowroot starch

Gluten Free Pantry Crunch Breading Mix

Dip fish in egg & sweet rice flour, dip again and roll
in ground almonds

Nut flours

Sweet rice flour: 4

Bean flour

Potato buds & rice flour combination

Water chestnut flour, green bean starch, sweet potato
starch (found in oriental groceries) - I found this
interesting! Green bean starch...imagine!

Brown rice bread crumbs & season with onion, garlic,
etc.

www.recipesource.com/misc/hints/00/rec0014.html
(there was a recipe for baked fish with this web site,
but due to copyright concerns, I didn't include it
here)

I hope I didn't leave any suggestions
out...eventually, I hope to become a gf cook in spite
of myself! Thanks, again, to everyone!

Cheers,
Ayn/Alabama