From:
Alice Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alice Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:10:42 -0500

A huge thanks to all who replied to my query about Asian restaurants. I
can't believe how many great (and different responses I got).

To sum them all up:

Chinese: Very tough.
1) P.F. Chang's is a Chinese/American chain which has a good
understanding of gluten issues from quite a number of people.
2) Bring your own soy sauce and request that the wok be cleaned before
use. Some ask the restaurant to use their soy (which only some
restaurants seem willing to do). Some add soy after.
3) Some people only eat white sauce Chinese food.
4) Some only eat steamed food.
5) Language is a barrier

Japanese
The primary thing people can eat is sushi with wheat free soy that they
bring themselves. Some mentioned not eating the imitation crab and eel.

Vietnamese
Pho (soup) is the main okay thing there. Though some people have had
success with other dishes. Beware of the soy sauce there.

Thai
Seems to be well suited to a gluten-free diet, but one should still make
sure that no soy is used

Indian
With the exception of naan (sp?, the fabulous bread!) Indian is also
very well suited to a gluten free diet. They use lots of chick pea
flours and things like that.

So that is my summary. Please feel free to add anything else.

Alice Bruce