From:
Kathy Hubbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 22:43:40 EDT

Listmates-

We recently took our annual vacation, traveling from Middletown, CT, to
Illinois/ Iowa.

On I-80, south of Scranton, we ate at exit 232, Buckhorn PA.  Last year
Western Sizzlin' was very accommodating, made me a great "naked" steak and
baked potato.
This year they were mobbed, so we took a chance on Burger King.  I had
brought my own corn tortillas; I explained the concept of Celiac Disease to
the young man behind the counter and he personally prepped my burgers and
microwaved the corn Tortillas
I brought in.  Perfect! No reaction.
We ate sliced ham on corn tortillas that were  warmed on the dashboard (:-)),
until getting to Indiana.  The young lady at the South Bend Chocolate Company
kiosk at the toll road rest area worked with me to find out which candies
were GF (I chose chocolate fudge and mint.... somethings).  I am ashamed to
say I ate fudge the rest of the way to our destination!
Godfathers Pizza on W. Kimberly in Davenport Iowa has the nicest staff I've
ever met, and the simple act of eating pizza with the family was....
overwhelmingly normal.  We stayed an extra day to eat there a second time
(they only do the GF thing on Saturdays).
On the way home I brought my personal GF toaster, Vans wheat-free waffles,
and my own peanut butter and jelly into the breakfast area at the Super-8
motel in Howe, Indiana.  The staff supplied me with paper plates and a
plastic knife wrapped in plastic to make my breakfast sandwich, and a clean
bowl and spoon for my Gorilla Munch.
Afraid to get too adventurous, I drank Boost until we got to Buckhorn
Pennsylvania, where we did the Burger King routine again.  Since we'd brought
the cooler for Coke and Boost anyway, I brought my own mayo in to BK this
time.

Bringing the corn tortillas made a real difference.  We are NOT fussy or
fancy eaters (obviously), but living on plain hamburgers is a drag.  The
tortillas for a "wrap", and later the ham "sandwiches",  perked things up a
bit.  We also found that different brands of tortillas heat up differently
and behave differently in the microwave; bring plenty of your personal
favorite!
If you can squeeze in a cooler for some Boost and a quart of milk, that helps
too.
In case of emergency I packed a few cans of Dinty Moore beef stew, but didn't
need them.

Hope these hints help; happy (and safe) traveling!

Kathy