From:
Katie Botkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:42:12 EDT

Hey everyone, I'm the celiac in the family and I have a sister who was
recently diagnosed with epilepsy.  She's almost 21 but other than her
seizures the past few months has been in perfect health and never been in the
hospital for any reason.  I know there is a link between epilepsy and celiac
and I've told her this but she doesn't think she could have celiac because
she's been so healthy.  Recently she's told my mom that she went to the
clinic and has a kidney infection...I don't think this could have any link to
celiac but it must mean she isn't as healthy as she thinks.  Two of my
brothers have been tested because they show symptoms and came back negative.
The tests are expensive and our insurance doesn't cover it which may be a
reason why she doesn't want to get tested as well.  My mom doesn't think she
has it because epilepsy can be caused my other things...I've done some
reading and found that partial complex siesures were common in celiacs...the
kind of seisures that Jen has.  What info could I give her that would
influence her to get tested?  Does anyone here have epilepsy that might have
resulted from celiac?  or does anyone know where I could find more infomation
on this..the place i looked was www.celiac.com and was a little confused by
some things.  Thanks,
Katie