From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:17:23 -0400

I got several replies to my request. Unfortunately restaurant
recommendations were for non-kosher restaurants or kosher ones that have
closed.

Shopping: I got several recommendations to go to the Specialty Food
Store at the Hospital for Sick Children which ended up being 5 blocks
from the hotel. Very nice selection and I even found another brand of
kosher GF products (Hol-Grains is now under the Star-K and they have
crackers, bread crumbs, brownie mix and pancake/waffle mix which is the
only kosher-pareve, garfave flour free, gf mix I have found). Although
they do NOT have a complete selection of Dr Schar's products I was able
to get the ones I do not like to have shipped during the summer (the
chocolate covered snack wafer bars and the chocolate coated biscotti
cookies).

Other stores recommended were Noah's and The Big Carrot, Natural Food
Market, 348 Danforth Ave., Toronto, Ontario M4K 1N8, 416.466.2129, fax
416.466.2366 I did contact The Big Carrot and they did not carry Dr.
Schar products so I did not even try to go due to time constraints.

I did go to several kosher restaurants and had no problems with getting
a decent meal. In all 3 restaurants the servings were decent and the
vegetables were fresh & not overcooked!! We tried 3 restaurants: Marky's
Deli & Restaurant, 280 Wilson Avenue, 416-638-1081--I had the grilled
chicken with vegetables and baked potato which the waitress recommended
as being safe. When I was paying I talked to the owner and he indicated
they had alot more that was ok including their Teriyaki dishes (salmon
and chicken). He did double check the teriyaki sauce and it was ok.
Chicken Nest, 3038 Bathurst Street, 416-787-6378--I had the barbeque
chicken with vegetables and baked potato. This was the only item they
recommended as being safe. Migdal David, 3022 Bathurst Street,
416-787-6551--I had the schwarma platter. I did get slightly sick
afterwards which may have been due to gluten, however I cannot be sure
since the week was very tiring and it may have been due to fatigue.

I did check the food/menu's at the two kosher restaurants/eating places
that are downtown and decided not eat at either place since they either
did not have anything I felt comfortable eating or had such a limited
selection it wasn't worth the time to check them out. Mt. Sinai Hospital
Cafeteria, 600 University Avenue, 416-596-4200, lunch only (this is
directly across from Hospital for Sick Children so I did check it out in
person and ended up not eating there) and Oasis Café and Health Bar, 2
First Canadian Place, 100 King Street West, 416-368-8805, breakfast and
lunch (I checked out their menu, they had a chili that may have been ok
but decided to not check them out).

There was a banquet Thursday night (with over 700 people attending) and
I was able to eat almost everything. No bread of course and got a
beautiful fruit platter for dessert instead of the tart. Of course I was
served last so was happy I had a snack prior to the banquet to ensure I
did not get cranky before I was fed.

For breakfast and lunch I had brought enough food which I supplemented
with a few fresh items from a grocery store (as others have previously
commented I was pleased with the gf selection in the grocery store, much
larger than any regular grocery store in Baltimore) which was near
Chicken Nest and Migdal David. BTW I did bring fresh hummos into Canada
with no problem and in the past year have brought hard cheese, boiled
eggs into the US from Canada with no problem (and I made it clear to
customs in both countries that I had these foods).

The main problem with food was due to Monday being a Civic Holiday (this
is apparently the correct name for the holiday, and correct me if this
is wrong, but we were told that the day is to ensure each month in the
summer has a 3 day weekend with this one having no special significance)
and some places were closed on Monday (downtown restaurants, Specialty
Food Store).

Thank you,
Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA