From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:06:14 EDT

I starting taking cod liver oil capsules because I quite drinking milk & was
looking for a source of Vits A & D.  My nails, always very thin & very soft
even after years of g.f. have gotten stronger and don't flake in layers. For
a while I had a ridge when they were growing out...kind of a before & after
line.  I hadn't done anything else new during that time, so I'm convinced
that was an unexpected effect.
+++++++++++++++++
I've had this problem--but then I'm also hypothyroid (Hashimoto's
hypothyroiditis--another autoimmune problem) and have fibromyalgia (probably
not related to the nails). My rheumatologist says the nail problem is most
likely related to the thyroid. My hair is more brittle than it used to be,
too--in fact, I not only develop split ends, but split  middles on some
hairs.
++++++++++++++++++++
I've noticed when I don't eat enough fat and protein, my nails and hair and
skin become AWFUL.  When I increase both, I notice great improvement.  Have
you ever heard of Suzanne Somer's WOE?  That has helped A LOT!!!
++++++++++++++++
Lack of Vit C
+++++++++++++
When I had this problem, I made sure to eat a balanced diet, and one rich
in healthy fats. Supplements added were Silica, Folic Acid, and I used
warm olive oil on my nails regularly. Silica was amazing for me; my nails
grew fast, and strong!

Dry and brittle nails benefit from moisturizer. Even warm olive oil (or any
pure oil of choice --e.g., vitamin E), directly rubbed into the nails, can be

helpful in addition to bringing any vitamin deficiencies up to par.

Hydrochloric acid (HCL) has a role here too.  Not enough HCL can cause
splitting nails. The B vitamins are important, but especially low B12 can
lead to excessive dryness.

Many times, the texture of nails relates to nutritional deficiencies or
other underlying problems.  Nails can reveal a lot about our health.
+++++++++++++++++
I found jellies are a good way to strengthen nails as geletine strengthens
nails I think in your country they call it Jello
++++++++++++++++++
your body's health shows up in hair and nails.  Your gut may still be
out...are you
taking the glutamine/probiotics combo?  I noticed that within a few months of
my
starting that, my hair and nails really perked up.  Now my nails look as tho
they
were buffed smoothed and polished..they're not.  Also look to see that you
are getting enough protein, a lack of which could affect nails.
+++++++++++++++++

i was reading yesterday that a sign of anemia (low iron) is brittle,
splitting nails...
+++++++++++++++++
I don't know what causes it, but the ONLY thing that helps me is a product
called "Nailtique".  I find it at Eckerd here in the South, but I'm sure it's
everywhere.  It's a clear polish you put on once, every other day, on very
clean nails.  It really does help.
I went for a manicure a year ago and the manicurist suggested I use it and
I've been using it ever since.  As soon as I stop, though, my nails get
brittle again.  They're awful!
++++++++++++++++
I don't know what causes bad nails, but I, too, have had terrible problems
this year.  I was diagnosed as a celiac last October.  Do not know if this is
related...I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  Will be interested in seeing
your summary of other responses.  Thanks!
+++++++++++++++++++
Aha... Another case of hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid)...

Try this test to see if you might have it:

http://www.drdebe.com/BAKESODA.htm

This woman describes her experiences with hypochlorhydria and the results
after her treatment for it:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0ISW/2001_Oct/78900837/print.jhtml

"Deteriorating Nails: I learned my nails definitely indicated
hypochlorhydria. At first they developed longitudinal ridges, then
horizontal dents, then they split chronically, deep into the nail bed and
their edges peeled. [10] They are much thicker and stronger now, quite
smooth and have a healthy sheen."

Check out my recent past posts on hypochlohydria for more links to
hypochlorhydria, and you might want to buy a copy of Dr. Jonathan V.
Wright's recent book, "Why Stomach Acid Is Good For You":

++++++++++++++++++
Malabsorbtion is the typical reason for bad
nails, and since your celiac disease is under
control, you might want to ask yourself whether
you have hyperthyroid symptoms.  Graves disease,
the most common cause of hyperthyroidism, also
causes malabsorbtion since it causes frequent
bowel movements, which don't give the nutrients
enough time to be fully absorbed.  Are you taking
vitamin supplements?
Using Biotin Forte at 500 mg. per day.  Remember it takes a long time to grow
the nails.  Really helps.
I'm not sure what causes brittle nails, but I have noticed that since I've
been taking supplements (i.e. calicium) in a GELATIN capsule, my nails grow
rapidly and are quite strong and healthy.