From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:27:02 -0500

Only 2 replies received.  Only one actually tried to bake with Montina.
Ener-G makes "Seattle Brown" bread, buns, and crackers which are produced
from a blend of flours that includes Montina but features corn maize and
corn starch... no good for corn sensitive people.  Comments about Montina
from other web sites claim Montina has a nutty or pumpernickel rye flavor,
and, like rice flour, it needs a binding agent such as xanthan gum for
baking.  I guess if you really want to know if Montina is any good you'll
have to try some for yourself by getting a sample and recipes from
http://www.montina.com .

-------
"I have not tried the flour or grass as you put it. I have eaten the
crackers that Ener-G Foods makes. We were in Seattle in July and went to
visit the plant. That is where I found the montina crackers and are they
ever good. I recommend them highly !!"

-------
"I bought some at the Gluten Intolerance Group conference in NC in June.  I
used it to make banana bread, following the recipe in the cookbook on their
website.  I only used 2 bananas, not the four (!) which the recipe
specified, so the result might partly be my fault.  Although it tasted
fine, it was rather grainy and didn't hold together very well, similar to
what you might get from a pure rice flour product.  I think it might have
more potential as a mix with something else, maybe buckwheat, which also
has a grayish tint."