From:
Patrick Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:45:28 -0700

Heres part 2-
**I spoon a bunch of yogurt, usually vanilla, into a container, and
throw in some frozen raspberries or blueberries.  They will thaw by
lunchtime and voila, I have a relatively healthy, gluten free, rich in
calcium and anti-oxidants

**Veggie sticks & GF dressing to dip in
"Ants on a log" (Celery filled w/ peanut butter and raisins on top)
cheese cubes and rice crackers hummus (garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon,
olive oil, garlic) gorp ( a mix of dried fruit & nuts (& choc chips if
you are adventurous)cooked lentils - good on salad or as a salad w/
vinaegrette & some veggies mixed in.  But clean them thoroughly before
cooking- I typically find 3-4 grains of something per cup of dry
lentils.

**1) There is a new lunch box out called "the ideal lunchbox"
supposedly available at Walmart with a hot side and a cold side and it
is dishwasher safe.  I am looking for this because it does sound ideal
2) My son 's favorite is steak and cheese.  A Gillian roll with
"Steak-Um" steak, cheese and  of course, ketchup.  This keeps hot in a
round thermos.The Gillian rolls hold up well in a lunchbox
3) I make extra dinner so he can have leftovers for lunch, and sometimes
breakfast too.

**Corn elbow pasta (or rice pasta) mixed with olive oil and parmesan
cheese sandwiches on brown rice bread (I like the Food for Life brand -
in the frozen section as some health food stores). However, this bread
is a bit more delicate than wheat bread - so we weren't sure how well it
would hold up in a packed lunch.

**1. corn tortillas with GF lunch meats (Hilshire Farms Brand).
2. peanut butter with GF crackers, like nut thins.
3. tunadish salad (GF mayo (Hellmans)) with fresh tomatoes.
4. apple slices with peanutbutter as a 'dip'.

**Hormel peperoni slices, cabot cheese slices and GF rice crackers!
(Some baby carrots and Annie's ranch dressing is always nice too!)

**If you have access to hot water, the Thai Kitchen roasted garlic soup
bowl is very tasty and quick.  Basically just pour hot water into the
bowl it comes in.  I work from my home but I hate to spend a lot of time
in the middle of the day fussing in the kitchen.
When I am out for the day I pack up lunch and a few snacks.  Instead of
a paper bag, invest in one of those soft insulated lunch bags and a
small cooler insert.  Pack up a small plastic container with egg, tuna
or chicken salad or cheese slices or spread and some Ener-G, Glutano or
Schar crackers (all excellent -- Ener-G is like a saltine, Glutano more
like a Ritz and Schar reminds me of Uneeda biscuits).  Or make "peanut
butter crackers" by sandwiching two crackers together with PB in the
middle.  Personally I think the Glutano or Schar are best for that.
Yogurt also keeps well in the cooler bags or you can cook up a batch of
drumsticks, freeze them and put one or two (depending on the appetite in
question) in the bag.   Add either fresh fruit or the individual fruit
cups from Dole or Del Monte or applesauce from Motts or Musselmann's.
Frookie's WF/GF chocolate chip,double chocolate or peanut butter cookies
are moist and don't seem to crumble when packed up to go and are
reasonably priced for a GF product. Buy the snack size zip lock bags to
pack up things like carrot or celery sticks, pretzels (buy the Glutano
family size bag for economy's sake), soy nuts or crackers.  You could
also make up some trail mix customized to taste with nuts, dried fruit,
GF pretzels or GF dry cereal, chocolate chips, etc. A snack size box of
raisins is healthy, fast, easy and readily available at all
supermarkets. So are juice boxes.
Since kids like to be like all the other kids, sandwiches have to be an
option.  Kinnikinnick brown sandwich bread actually stays moist and
chewy when you eat your sandwich hours after packing it up to go.  And
is verytasty.  I had ham and cheese with lettuce and mustard but I'll
bet PB&J works just fine.  If your kid won't eat the brown sandwich
bread, try the white -- I can't personally vouch for it but it seems to
race off the shelves at my local HFS.  These breads are also dairy free
and have an ALTAlabel.

**Pasta with sauce, soup, mashed potatos with gravy and cut pieces of
meat, fried rice with stir-fried meats in a thermos, crackers with cold
cuts and cheese, etc... Today, there are some many packaging type
products (that are small enough to bring your lunch anywhere) that can
keep food hot or cold - all you have to do is be creative.

**I have found quite a lot of luck using a thermos (a stainless steel
wide-mouthed "THERMOS" brand thermos which I purchased in the camping
section at Target).  I use it to pack a few pasta dishes for my son who
has celiac (as do I) and he enjoys them.  We unquestionably prefer
"BiAglut" brand pasta which is available through Glutino and a couple
other gluten free mail order companies that i can't think of off the top
of my head.  But, I would think that these recipes would work just fine
with any brand of
GF pasta.  The pasta dishes I have tried are as follows:
--"Macariz" macaroni and cheese which I have ordered from the Gluten
Free Pantry.  I usually add frozen peas to this (and lots of other
dishes) because my son loves peas and the extra nutrition is great.
-- also make my own "macaroni and cheese" from scratch just for the sake
of variety.  It is not any "exceptional recipe"--I just sort of threw
together some macaroni and some cheese.  It's not too original, I'm
afraid, but it works.  I make pasta; drain; add four or five slices of
American cheese, a pat of butter, and about a quarter cup of milk.
Cover and keep over a low flame, mixing occasionally, adding a little
milk here and there if it's too sticky.
--I make angel hair pasta the night before (we us the Schar brand for
this dish) and refrigerate it.  Then in the morning, I heat about a
tablespoon of olive oil, saute some garlic for a minute or two, add a
couple of tablespoons of chicken broth (made simple with water and Herb
Ox Chicken boullion) for another couple of minutes, and then dump in the
pasta and some frozen peas and frozen corn till heated through.
--My son loves this next one at home but I haven't tried packing it in
the thermos yet. I think it should work fine though. Make pasta--any
shape like fusilli, penne, etc.; drain, and immediately drop in a raw
egg which will actually cook while you mix it around in the very hot,
just-drained pasta.  (You can keep a very low flame under the pot while
you add these ingredients to the pasta, but it is probably not even
necessary.)  Then add a little butter, a drop of oil, some salt, some
parmesan or romano cheese, and frozen peas (which I heat through in a
separate pot before adding to this concoction).  I am told that this is
basically a recipe for "pasta carbonara" (without the usual onions and
bacon or something)--i have no idea, I'm not that much of a cook, but my
kids love this one and it cooks up in a snap.
Now, I usually cook these up in the morning which may sound like kind of
a drag but, truly, it's not that big a deal once you've made the recipes
once or twice.  i can (and actually do sometimes) throw them together in
my sleep.  but as i sit here typing this out, I am actually wondering if
it might be possible to cook and freeze at least some of these recipes
ahead of time.  I'll have to give that a try.  Also, I would imagine
that most other pasta recipes would work out well using this type of
thermos, but I would recommend
experimenting before actually sending in a new recipe with your child so
as to not risk him/her opening the thermos at school and being
disappointed. Apart from pastas, my son's teacher was super last year
and allowed him to keep a toaster in the classroom for my son's
exclusive use.  So, i would use those Ziploc containers (they make them
in the perfect size and shape for a sandwich) and send in a few slices
of Boar's Head ham, cheese, and a piece of our favorite bread--Glutino's
Corn Baguette or, or second favorite, Glutino's Corn Bread (which is
basically the same "bread" except in the shape of white bread.  Toasted,
these two breads are really excellent.  I am hoping this this year's
teacher will be as cooperative as last year's teacher.