From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:19:39 -0400

>I spoke to two different representatives yesterday and got the same
>answer...ALL Maalox products have gluten!  I'm glad I checked because I had
>seen Maalox listed on the www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html
> list as being gf (!) but I was trying to get info on the Maalox Plus, so I
>called the number that they had listed, 800-452-0051, and was very surprised!

Elizabeth's post is a good lesson in why all GF lists should be used only
as a guide. Many people already know this, but many others who are harried
for time, unable to make manufacturer calls during the work day, or just
don't want to be bothered, find a list and shop from it no matter how old
it is. With some companies, the reality is that once somebody checks a
particular product, its GF status is good for only one day (not that I
check any product every day).

I helped check some of the products on the list that Elizabeth looked at
(the address now is actually
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/list.asp?webtag=celiac&ctx=1048576&cacheTag=
x46-0 ) and I think it's safe to say that all who checked were
conscientious people. If you look at the Maalox listing, you can see that
it was last checked on May 15, just three months ago. At the time, it was
GF. I double checked Elizabeth's info before writing this post, and the
company does indeed now say that Maalox is "NOT considered GF."

cheers
richard