From:
DIANE E WILSON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DIANE E WILSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:05:30 -0400

I received the following email after complaining about the vague response given to one of our listmates.  I used this address:  [log in to unmask]

Dear Ms. Wilson:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Corporation and
the products we produce which might be gluten-free.  We appreciate your interest
in our company and our products.

At the present time, Vlasic® Pickles, Sauerkraut and Peppers are gluten-free.
The vinegar used in production of these items is corn-based, rather than
wheat-based.  Other items in our product lines (which include Swanson® frozen
foods and Open Pit® barbecue sauces) generally contain wheat-based ingredients
in the form of modified food starches and other thickening agents.

While our manufacturing facilities follow generally accepted good manufacturing
practices, we do not have the flexibility of segregating production lines for
the exclusive production of wheat-free items.  We recommend that you review the
list of ingredients on the package prior to purchase to assure that you are
meeting your specific dietary needs. Since we are constantly improving our
products, ingredients may change from time to time.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your specific concerns with us,
because it helps us to become aware of consumer needs.  We hope you find this
information helpful.

Sincerely,

Sylvia Singleton
Consumer Services Representative