EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Rebman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:29:44 -0600
>While it is possible to record and edit voice on a laptop, provided you
have a sound card and a sound editing utility, it would be very difficult
to do this without sight.  The >interface for sound recording is intensely
graphical!  The screen shows the sound waveform, and you need to be able to
locate key points in the flow for your editing.

Dennis,

I respectfully disagree.  You can also use your ears to locate key points.
The proof in this is that myself, as well as many other blind people, both
amatuers and professionals, do their own recording, mixing, mastering, etc.
 We use such mainstream tools as Sonar, Cakewalk, CoolEdit Pro, SoundForge,
and others.  There is also a nice set of JFW scripts especially for making
Cakewalk more productive and efficient to use called CakeTalk (available
from www.dancingdots.com).

I am currently putting together a recording studio in my basement, and I
know a totally blind person in Denver who runs his own commercial recording
studio, as well as another one in Michigan.  I'm sure there are more.

-- Jim

James A. Rebman

Cognitive Levers Project
Center for Life-Long Learning and Design
Department of Computer Science
University of Colorado, Boulder

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent.  It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the
opposite direction."

 - E. F. Schumacher