From:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:12:45 -0700

Hi. This is going to seem odd to you at first but I think by accident I
managed to measure the effect of gluten enteropathy on my brain and nervous
system. Here’s what I did, how I did it.

I have a book which tests for career aptitude (from high school/college
years). It is called “Discover What You Are Best At” (view it here
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=52NQDNKVS
O&isbn=0684839563
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=52NQDNKV
SO&isbn=0684839563> ). By chance I saved the results of when I took the
tests in 1990, back when my celiac disease was developing and getting bad. I
developed daily diarrhea in 1991 and was eating a high gluten diet daily at
the time. I decided to try taking the tests again to see how differently I
now score after 12 years (I’m also pondering a career change and was looking
for direction from the book). I took the tests again in early August after
an accidental gluten exposure (from a seasoning I was using that had gluten
in it that was not on the label). I had also been eating tofu (soy) for
about 6 weeks and had developed a reaction that seemed similar to sprue. I
had been taking multivitamins daily but had not taken the sublingual B-12
vitamins for months. So in August I was pretty hammered. This was my
situation at the time I took the test in August.

I then waited about 6 weeks, made sure my diet was gluten free, had
eliminated the soy from my diet (hidden sources also in processed foods I
was eating that contained soy), and I cut out corn also. I started taking
the sublingual B-12 tablets again daily about the same time. So after about
6 weeks of this regimen I was about back to normal again. I was handling
stress normally and could think clearly again. At this time (Sept. 23) I
took the test again to see if I scored differently then back in August when
I was hammered by gluten and soy. Boy did I ever! In fact it took me a
couple of days of looking at the completely different test results I got
from 1990, August ’02, and Sept. ’02 before I finally figured out what was
happening. If you look at the test results taken during the three time
periods, “under the influence” of gluten and gluten free, it looks like I am
three completely different people!

I posted the results on my public briefcase on Yahoo. You can see a picture
of the results here:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jerrya_sj/vwp?.dir=/Public&.dnm=Career+Aptitude+T
est+results.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t
<http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jerrya_sj/vwp?.dir=/Public&.dnm=Career+Aptitude+
Test+results.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t>

I don’t know what else to make of this. I know a lot of it has to do with
aging and experience over the 12 years, but I went 10 years misdiagnosed
with celiac disease during those dozen years, had diarrhea and steatorrhea
daily for years during the 1990s before we finally figured out it was celiac
sprue last year. I know the huge difference in the results is a direct
result of gluten influence and of being gluten free. You know how the
struggle is to think and focus when you are on gluten if you are celiac, and
how your mind clears up when you become gluten free and get vitamins and
minerals and food back into your system right? I was barely able to think
when I was doing the test in August after the week of gluten and the six
weeks of soy. When I took the test a couple of days ago I could think
clearly with no problems and felt about normal. Back in 1990 I know I was
developing major problems and I’m sure I was thinking about how I was from
the August test period, where I was barely able to think.

Before I forget, the tests in this book comprise six classes: Business,
Clerical, Logic, Mechanical, Numerical, Social. Each test has from 43 to 78
questions, they are “multiple guess” with four possible choices, and you get
anywhere from 22 to 30 minutes to finish each test. My memory isn’t that
good, so I doubt I am memorizing answers. The answer sheets are also in the
form of “A, B, C, D” with no explanation, just the correct letter to use for
the scoring. So I don’t know what all of this means, if it means anything.

Let me know what you think about this because it sure blows my mind. Take
care.

Jerry
San Jose, CA